iSCSI do or dont for HA Cluster

Small index of our current cluster:
3 Hosts, local ZFS storage only. Hourly backup to 2nd location.

This night we got a call from our main customer that his VM was not responsive, after a trip to the DC i've discovered that the network card was dead. As it happened in the night with no activity, there is (luckely) no data loss, and we were back up in running in a few minutes.

Today i purchased a SAN. But here comes the question:

The rep at our DC told me this afternoon that an iSCSI LUN can only be accessed by a single host at a time, to prevent Corruption/dataloss.

Is there a way to share a single iSCSI volume across the cluster, so we can enable the HA function of Proxmox? Or is it an better idea to return the SAN tomorrow when it comes in?

Kind regards!

Is there a way to share a single iSCSI volume across the cluster, so we can enable the HA function of Proxmox?

Proxmox VE has integrated cluster wide locking to make sure it is only accessed by a single host.

The rep at our DC told me this afternoon that an iSCSI LUN can only be accessed by a single host at a time, to prevent Corruption/dataloss.

This is unacceptable for cluster use. As you can imagine, for failover or live migration, the other host has to have access to the volume. Make sure the LUN is accessible by all cluster members for read/write access; as Deitmar stated, Proxmox will handle contention.

Reactions: Sourcenux
Sure.

Whats important to understand is the difference between volume group and logical volume. When you set up the volume manager on the LUN (either LVM or ZFS) the first layer on the disk is the volume group. each virtual machine creates its own logical volume(s) in the volume group, which are in turn mapped as block devices to the virtual machine. Proxmox will do this part for you- your responsibility would be to provision the LUN and create the volume group.

When the virtual machine is moved to another node, it simply refers to the same logical volume(s) on the same volume group, which is live and accessible by the host node; for this to work the LUN must be accessible to the target node as well as the source node.

Reactions: Mark van de Louw

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!