iscsi connection only showing one of the available LUNs

prodigyak

Aug 17, 2022
Hello all! I'm needing some guidance on an iscsi connection that I'm having issues with. Here is the general lay of the land.

• 4 Node pve cluster with multipath configured and working
  • iscsci connection between the cluster and the storage
  • LVM created on top of the isccsi storage connection inside of pve
The issue is I'm only seeing 1 of the 2 LUN's available on the connection. Trying to figure out what I'm missing for the other LUn to show up.

Thanks in advance.

You've provided no details/output so the answer to your question on what you can be missing is generic:
- misconfigured lun on storage
- not attached to target
- bad authentication
- wrong ip address
- wrong target

For more specific answer the community would need at the very least:
type of storage
show the two LUNs, how each one is exposed to hosts
method of connectivity from PVE to Storage
kernel messages around time of connecton
output from lsblk, iscsiadm
etc

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Apologies for my vagueness in the initial post. I've been utilizing pve for all of a week and thought possibly this was one of those simple "gotcha" type things I just wasn't aware of.

The hosts are directly connected via isccsi to a Lenovo S3200 storage unit. Pictured below are the two LUN's in question.
1661439604533.png

The "storage" LUN is showing up fine, I was able to create the LVM on top of that and can utilize it no issue. The "Performance" LUN is the one pve just can't seem to see.

Each of the nodes in the cluster has the same output for "seeing" the LUN
1661439703915.png

PVE is using Debian as underlying OS, so there is not much proprietary in iSCSI connectivity and for Kernel to see the disk.
I am not an expert on Lenovo configuration and cant say based on that screenshot if all the requirements are fulfilled for the LUN presentation.
Assuming you know what you are doing around that array:
- still unclear how you established iscsi sessions (manually or via PVE)
- what is in your /etc/pve/storage.cfg ?
- is there anything in dmesg or journalctl ?
- have you tried rescanning the bus? both iscsiadm and scsi
- can you or have you tried to reboot any of the nodes?

You said you used PVE for a week - have you always been missing a LUN, or did you add this LUN later to an existing session?

There is still a lot information missing. Also, its easier if you use text output in <code> tags than screenshots where possible

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
So after a reboot of the hosts and the array I was able to add the second LUN with no issue.

Another question is, how do I configure the storage to allow for the ISO storage option? So that I can store both VM's and ISO's?

For ISO you need file based storage. The LVM you have now one is a block based storage - suitable only for "disk images" in Proxmox speak.
There is no built-in VMFS equivalent in Proxmox, so your choices, considering your existing storage investment, are:
- external NFS or CIFS for ISO/snippets
- VM running NFS/CIFS for ISO/snippets
- self-configured Cluster File System instead of LVM for all data, ie VM disks are qcow or raw

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!