iSCSI config befor or after?

Grigory

Aug 8, 2016
Hello!
I have 2 servers A and B.
Server A is configured PV 4.2 host with ~20 VM running with vm-disks on configured iSCSI storage(DELL MD3800i).
Server B is clean installation with no iSCSI targets.
Next I'm going to create cluster.
Should I
1. First add iSCSI targets on server B and then create cluster
2. Just configure 10g interfaces and multipath on server B and then create cluster
3. Create cluster and then configure network interfaces and multipath on server B.
It seems to me that third option is right.(?) but I don't sure exactly.
(sorry for poor english and grammar, it's cold here in Russia and my fingers frozen in this icy hell)

Hello!
I have 2 servers A and B.
Server A is configured PV 4.2 host with ~20 VM running with vm-disks on configured iSCSI storage(DELL MD3800i).
Server B is clean installation with no iSCSI targets.
Next I'm going to create cluster.
Should I
1. First add iSCSI targets on server B and then create cluster
2. Just configure 10g interfaces and multipath on server B and then create cluster
3. Create cluster and then configure network interfaces and multipath on server B.
It seems to me that third option is right.(?) but I don't sure exactly.
(sorry for poor english and grammar, it's cold here in Russia and my fingers frozen in this icy hell)

Personally I like the idea of having the storage ready before creating the cluster, but honestly I don't think it matters. Only issue I see is you only have 2 servers which is not enough to make a cluster.

The question is abought the order of actions, not the servers quantity. There will be four servers at all.

Thanks for care :).
Do You really sure that I should first add iSCSI targets and then create cluster.
I'm confused with fact that STORAGE settings is for whole datacenter.
shot_131216.PNG
So, I'm not really sure how cluster will work with this in case if iSCSI with same names will be created.

Thanks for care :).
Do You really sure that I should first add iSCSI targets and then create cluster.
I'm confused with fact that STORAGE settings is for whole datacenter.
View attachment 4508
So, I'm not really sure how cluster will work with this in case if iSCSI with same names will be created.

Yep the storage is shared and needs to be accessible from each front end. Just to be consistent I would ensure the storage is available on node B before creating the cluster.

Reactions: Grigory
Thanx again. Will try to create cluster in first days of january, when server C and another disk shelf arrives.
Will have to stop entire system, both iSCSI disk shelf and server and VMs, and add another 10g switch to stack an so on. Happy working holidays there will be.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!