[SOLVED] Is there an Sizelimit vor KVM disks?

fireon

Distinguished Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
Hello all,

is there still a limit for HDD storage in KVM? I found old posts from 9 years ago. And a few more recent ones. There seems to be a limit of 2TB, then 16TB per disk. What does this look like currently?
Is there still a limit?

We are talking about a virtual Ubuntu 20.04 with Nextcloud. KVM disk must be at least 30TB.

I believe the limit is whatever your FS gives you at this point. I just attempted to create a (thin-allocated) 30 TB disk on ZFS and it completed fine.

Edit: That is to say, I don't believe QEMU applies any limit for it's "raw" block driver at least.

Thanks for that information. I wasn't quite sure about this, as I have never built such large virtual machines before. :cool:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!