Is there an easy method to increase the size of the VM?

Jarvar

Aug 27, 2019
When I first created the PBS VM I went with the default 32 GB but ran out of space. I was able to increase it to 150GB, However I had to take the unit offline.
I first used
qm resize 100 scsi0 +118G

then I booted into Gparted and added the unallocated space.
I believe th next was.

lvresize --size 148G --resizefs /dev/mapper/pbs-root

The size was a little smaller just to be safe.
Anyways I can't figure out how to do it while the VM is online.
I have gone through the initial step, but can't get the parts after.

I used fdisk to create a new partition with the remaning space, then I pvcreate /dev/sda4 since It's SDA, and my root and swap are on sda3

then I used:
lvextend -l +100%FREE /dev/mapper/pbs-root

I see now that I have pbs-root in both sda3 and sda4

Hi,
I don't think there's an easier way than what you did. As the pbs-root volume is a logical volume, it doesn't really matter that the physical volumes for it are different partitions. You could've extended partition 3 directly instead of creating a new one, but it doesn't really make a difference.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!