Is there a way to disable the automatic start of VMs before proxmox boots?

turin231

Apr 20, 2020
I have made a mistake trying to passthrough a NIC that was already used by another VM through a bridge. At restart the host is trying to start both VMs and crashes and i have no access to it either from the web interface or the console. Is there a way to disable the automatic start of the VMs before boot by any chance?

hi,

if you cannot boot the host at all, you could try booting with a recovery iso and editing the VM configuration in /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf and remove the onboot parameter to disable that option

thank you for the reply. I actually managed to boot up by disabling all the networking card. But /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf seems read only and cannot change this even using root.

did you replace VMID with the actual ID of your VM? those files aren't readonly under normal circumstances.

yeah i did.

btw this in a node with a cluster of two if this matters for this case.

Last edited:
So the issues i have are similar to this: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/i-o-errors-pve-not-booting.75120/post-343494

The reason i think things go read only is that there is no quorum with the networking disabled.

The problem is that if i disable networking the errors stop - i can boot. If i use pvecm expect 1 to have quorum on the faulty node anything i try to run freezes the console.

I think i might try a debian live iso and try to edit the vm configuration files from there.

You might not be able to see the files in /etc/pve if you boot from an iso. Because the problem is caused by PCI passthrough, I suggest editing the boot menu (press the 'e'-key) and removing the intel_iomm=on or amd_iommu=on from the kernel parameters. Then the VMs won't be able to do passthrough and Proxmox should start normally (except for failing to start those VMs).

Reactions: turin231
You might not be able to see the files in /etc/pve if you boot from an iso. Because the problem is caused by PCI passthrough, I suggest editing the boot menu (press the 'e'-key) and removing the intel_iomm=on or amd_iommu=on from the kernel parameters. Then the VMs won't be able to do passthrough and Proxmox should start normally (except for failing to start those VMs).
Thank you that was a great idea (i feel bad for not thinking it earlier). I ended up actually disabling virtulization from the BIOS and indeed the host booted normally so i could remove the incorrect passthrough.

Last edited:
if you access it a the server with a screen and keypad log in and use

qm list

then

nano /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf
swapping vmid for the number of the device
go down to booton change 1 to 0
on them all if your not sure
and reboot

Hope that helps

i thin

Last edited:
I FOUND A SOLUTION. Disable virtualisation in the bios (SVM mode). proxmox will still boot but the offending VMs won’t so you can make configuration changes as you wish.
Yeah. I added PCIE pass through of the intel wifi card to a windows vm. it froze the machine, not even network pings would get through or physical keyboard would respond. i stupidly also set to startup on boot hence it seemed trapped. Recovery mode was no help as i kept getting “refused to connect” errors. Gigabyte motherboards don’t even have an option to disable wifi in bios.

Last edited:
Reactions: mehdital

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!