Is there a "qm rescan" equivalent API/pvesh call?

As far as I know, no. May I ask what your use case is for this? Then we could maybe add it.

I am trying to build a node independent workflow for automation. I.e. "qm" must be run on the node which owns the VM, so if my request is: "provide additional storage for VM but do not activate it" I would "pvesh create" volume (granted I have to specify in API request but this can be any node). Once the volume is created if I want to the end user to complete "scsi/etc" assignment via GUI I have to make the volume visible as "unsused". The only way I have found is via "qm rescan".
Its pretty much the only functionality in volume provision workflow that is missing from "pvesh"/API from what I can see.

You could add a disk using the creation syntax and immediately detach it
Code:
root@pveA:~# pvesh create nodes/pveB/qemu/100/config --scsi0 local-lvm:5
update VM 100: -scsi0 local-lvm:5  Logical volume "vm-100-disk-0" created."UPID:pveB:00007E27:00020394:6013BF64:qmconfig:100:root@pam:"

root@pveA:~# pvesh create nodes/pveB/qemu/100/config --delete scsi0
update VM 100: -delete scsi0"UPID:pveB:00007E80:00020852:6013BF70:qmconfig:100:root@pam:"

root@pveA:~# pvesh get nodes/pveB/qemu/100/config | grep unused0
│ unused0  │ local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0                          │

The number (5 in this case) indicates the size of the created disk. Then end users can attach it in the GUI and you can also attach it via API
Code:
root@pveA:~# pvesh create nodes/pveB/qemu/100/config --scsi3 local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0
update VM 100: -scsi3 local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0"UPID:pveB:00008AF7:0002EFDD:6013C1C1:qmconfig:100:root@pam:"

root@pveA:~# pvesh get nodes/pveB/qemu/100/config | grep scsi3
│ scsi3    │ local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,size=5G                  │

You can also try to make use of bug report 3279 that I just created.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!