Is static LAG supported?

GeorgiL

Jan 18, 2019
Greetings!

I want to do 4 port link aggregation and the switch I'm considering does not support 802.3ad, but it does says static link aggregation is supported. I wonder if thats doable with Proxmox or only dynamic link aggregation is supported.

Proxmox is only a debian, so you can configure your Network how ever you want or need.

what is static lag ?
In Short, if you use static LAG you have redundancy, but you have to configure all parameters on booth side. If you have an media converter between, the failure of it will not detected. If you plug in the two or more cables in one port in access and one with static LAG the link will be up, no failure is detected. If you use LACP, also known as dynamic, then the switch will send such LACP packets and wait for ack from the Device, if the device isn't able to respond (for example he isnt capable of LACP) then the link will stay down. If one link failed, the switch will see it, if a media converter between will fail the switch will see it too, because they send LACP Packets and the will not arrive anymore.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!