Is Proxmox VE working with DELL Poweredge R320 Server?

susan_yu

Oct 30, 2012
We are going to buy DELL Poweredge R320 Server to install Proxmox VE. Is there any compatible issue? thanks

We have 1950's and R410's and they work fine (the R410's have 32GB of ram and dual 4 core + HT chips that fly... 20 heavy Windows VMs per node no problem). The R320 should be good as it is certified for both ESXi and Xen. I would definitely go for the E5 series chips, though and as much ram as you can afford.

We run Proxmox 2.2 on all of the above machines (860's, 1950's, R210, R210 II, and R320's). I have two machines that just boot the installer to a blank screen. CentOS 5.x installed on one with no issue. Troubleshooting now.

We run Proxmox 2.2 on all of the above machines (860's, 1950's, R210, R210 II, and R320's). I have two machines that just boot the installer to a blank screen. CentOS 5.x installed on one with no issue. Troubleshooting now.

i've found that on some of my servers either USB or CD wont work - its also worth making sure you have the most upto date BIOS and Firmware on the older boxes - what boxes are you having issues with?

i've found that on some of my servers either USB or CD wont work - its also worth making sure you have the most upto date BIOS and Firmware on the older boxes - what boxes are you having issues with?
This is actually booting via a PXE boot system. I've used it to install Proxmox 2.2 on around 25 machines with no issues, including several other R320's. These are two brand new R320's from the same batch of R320's that were already installed via the same method. The more I work with this, the more it looks like a hardware failure of the dongle connecting the server to the KVM (a Dell rebranded Avocent). Thanks for the feedback :)

...Todd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!