Is proxmox stable ? (mumbling aloud...)

chudak

May 11, 2019
i am new and have very little experience with proxmox, but...

I have been playing with it for 3 days and noticed that it's not very difficult to get it to irrecoverable state.

For example, I've tried to install a couple of packages today, one of them was X windows, gnome and screen sharing. And after that I see my system became unstable, e.g. runs for a little while and then hung and in the console of my VM I noticed "Disconnecting... (Detecting migration...)" message.

I realize that there is not fool-proofed system, but still wanted to ask:
- how other people find proxmox stability?
- in case proxmox becomes unstable, what to do ? Is there an easy way to roll back latest configurations changes ?

Thx

We need a bit more details on which packages were installed and what problems occurred, if possible with additional information from logs.

On a more general note: while installing a desktop environment on top of PVE is not officially supported, it is the way we set up our workstations here to develop it and it is working well and is stable.

in case proxmox becomes unstable, what to do ? Is there an easy way to roll back latest configurations changes ?
Always depends on what exactly was done. The PVE specific configs (VM configs, storage config, ...) are exposed as files in a FUSE file system located at /etc/pve. If you plan to change a VM config or the config of a storage, you can back up the config files there.

- how other people find proxmox stability?
I'm running 100 nodes since almost 10years, I never reinstalled my nodes, only upgraded them.
So yes,I'm pretty happy with stability. (But I don't install any others packages).
Only corosync/HA need to be carefully setup when you have a lot of nodes.

Reactions: mbaldini

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!