Is Proxmox Mail right for me?

AGo

Dec 9, 2010
Hi everybody,

I´m currently thinking about setting up a new Mail system, but I have never worked
with proxmox before so I wonder if you could assist me if the whole deal I have in mind
is doable and feasible. As I am only a student I have no budget for paying license fees though, so I am restricted to the OS variants.

I have a Core2Quad CPU and 8 Gig of RAM with 2*500 GB in Hardware-Raid1 on a 150MB/sec raid controller.

On the machine I would like to have proxmox installed with one VM running Win08 Server and Exchange 2010. Then I´d have one VM running the proxmox Mail Gateway and maybe 2 or 3 smaller VMs running simple LAMPs with low-load webpages.

Do you think I´d run in a performance issue with the exchange? It is only for private use so not more then 5 users with a total of like 50 mails a day.

Now I have like 30 pop3 accounts. Idealy I would like to have all these mails collected by the mail gateway, and then have the mail gateway check these mails and forward them to the exchange server where the users would collect them. Is this doable at all?

I am very experienced with Exchange but never really worked with fetchmail and theralike, any idea if that would work at all?

Thanks for your time,

AGo

Hi everybody,

I´m currently thinking about setting up a new Mail system, but I have never worked
with proxmox before so I wonder if you could assist me if the whole deal I have in mind
is doable and feasible. As I am only a student I have no budget for paying license fees though, so I am restricted to the OS variants.

I have a Core2Quad CPU and 8 Gig of RAM with 2*500 GB in Hardware-Raid1 on a 150MB/sec raid controller.

On the machine I would like to have proxmox installed with one VM running Win08 Server and Exchange 2010. Then I´d have one VM running the proxmox Mail Gateway and maybe 2 or 3 smaller VMs running simple LAMPs with low-load webpages.

did you notice that MS is not OS and you have to pay license fee´s?

Do you think I´d run in a performance issue with the exchange? It is only for private use so not more then 5 users with a total of like 50 mails a day.

Now I have like 30 pop3 accounts. Idealy I would like to have all these mails collected by the mail gateway, and then have the mail gateway check these mails and forward them to the exchange server where the users would collect them. Is this doable at all?

yes. but note, also the Proxmox Mail Gateway is not open source, but we provide a free license. if you can live with the free license restrictions (no easy updates, only one mail domainj, ...) its ok.

I am very experienced with Exchange but never really worked with fetchmail and theralike, any idea if that would work at all?

Thanks for your time,

AGo

I personally installed some similar boxes without problems for small installations (exchange 2003/2007/2010).

Thanks Tom.

Yeah sorry, I thought the mail gateway would be OS as well.

Regarding the MS stuff, luckily my university is taking part in MSDNAA, so we get free licenses for personal use, which is rather cool ;)

Regarding the single-domain restriction, how does this work exactly?
The POP-boxes are on several freemailer domains. Where does the limitation
kicks in? I would collect the pop3s and then forward them to one box per user
on the exchange server. Does the Mailgateway handle the collection or would I
have to mess with other tools?

as long as you use only one mail domain you can fetch the pop3 accounts, there is not limit on the pop3 accounts.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!