is PBS supporting create vlan network port?

joace

Renowned Member
Nov 4, 2014
Just like PVE, but I couldn't find it available on GUI (beta 0.9-5), even tried to use "proxmox-backup-manager network create" cmd with --type vlan, but reported back vlan is not support, or i used a wrong enumeration, thanks for help!

1604556469131.png

proxmox-backup-manager network create ens2np0.20 --autostart true --mtu 9000 --type vlan

Error: creating network interface type 'Vlan' is not supported

Last edited:
hi,

it's not possible to create a VLAN at the moment.

you can of course create it manually by editing configurations like /etc/network/interfaces

Thanks for quick reply! Will try manual configuration now, and see whether GUI change will overwrite the interfaces file.

I can report back that manually set with /etc/network/interfaces file can create required vlan port or other configuration can't be done from UI, and further changes made from UI won't overwrite manual config portion.

But another UI issue observed is after apply configuration change, the change status bar keeps running without report back "Done".
1604699933469.png

While click into details, the task already completed OK, and interfaces file also correctly updated.
1604699960730.png

I would like to share my experiences on this topic. Today, I installed the latest version of Proxmox Backup Server (PBS). I connected a 10-gigabit network card with two ports to a Cisco Nexus Switch. The ports on the switch were configured as a Port-Channel/Trunk. Creating the bond through the PBS GUI worked flawlessly, as did setting up the bridge. I intended to configure the VLANs through the /etc/network/interfaces file. In general, this worked as well, but none of the configured adapters were functioning. A ping test was unsuccessful. I even swapped the ports of a Proxmox VE server with identical Port-Channel/Trunk settings on the switch, but the VLANs still wouldn't work. The Proxmox VE server has the exact same configuration for the switch and /etc/network/interfaces without any issues! I don't think it's a Proxmox issue, but rather a problem on the Debian side. Or am I making a major mistake somewhere that I can't explain?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!