Is it possible to make shared directory for all vps on local storage

Revdutchie

Jul 9, 2012
Hi all,

Is it possible to make a shared directory wich all vps on that node can acces ?

To explain what I want, I have 6 vps on a proxmox node and on each vps I have
4 gameservers running so in total I am running 24 gameservers (all the same game)

If a game is ended the server will load a new world to play and that is the directory
that I want to share with all vps because now if there comes a new world I have to
upload it 6 times to all 6 vps.

I use OpenVZ containers

I hope my question is clear.

Reagrds
Jacques

Last edited:
I have thought about that, but that will use network traffic right ? And in that case be slower then read from disk directly.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

...yes, filesystem access via network.
How fast is "your disk" or what are your speed requirements?
I do not use vps containers, but with kvm and virtio I get as fast as CPU bandwith over network (8GB/sec measured with iperf on my small UP-XEON)...on the same PVE host that is of course.
...between nodes, provided you have 1GBit cabling you'll will/can max out at 80MByte/sec...if your underlying disk array is fast enough...like with a good NAS. Still in the range of a single disk/spindle.
If you just want to pull files fast, what about (t)ftp?

Well gameservers do not bring much money, so it's a simple machine with just 1 sata disk and a 100Mbit connection.
A gameworld to load can be as big as 100Mb so any network solution is not really an option.

After this reply I thought about something.

One thing I am not short of on the node is Ram. The directory I want to share can size wise easy be loaded into Ram.
Now I can understand that this could be totally redicilous idea and that the experst are rolling on the floor laughing now,
but he, if I dont ask I will never know :)

Last edited:
Hmm...excuse me if I got anything wrong, but your gameservers are virtual ones, right...on the same physical box.
So you are not limited to a physical network speed..all networking between containers will go through a virtual network card...performance is limited by CPU/chipset bandwith of that box.
You should at least get 1GBit speed in the NIC inside the container, which is that of a single SATA disk.

Edit:
As I do not use containers, I can't tell if you are limited to the speed of physical card if you do bridging to eth0 on the host.
One solution would be maybe bridge another net device in the container to the loopback device of the host...that should give you more that 100Mbit speed.
Another solution would be to plug-in a 1GB card in the host ... it doesn't need to be wired, but enabled for inter-container traffic.

Last edited:
Ok, then I misunderstood you,

Yes all gameservers are on 1 physical box running 6 openVZ containers 4 games in each container.
So you are saying create a 7th vps and install an nfs server on that and let the other vps connect true
a virtual network card. Just to make sure I cannot change the game behaviour, it will always search for
the directory "maps" so I can only use a symlink (can symlinks be an extarnal adress ?)

Any comments on my Ram idea, loading all the maps into ram is possible, but can you have a virtual directory in ram
and symlink to it ? Sounds weird but would be actually a great solution.

yes, either a 7th vps or directly on the PVE-host.

..see my edit comment above...MAYBE you are limited to your 100MBit speed, if you bridge to your physical network card....you need to check that yourself, sorry.

You can use RAMdisk and export that via NFS/CIFS or FTP
In your gameserver vps you will mount the network drive...give it the name/mountpoint you want like /mnt/maps or /mnt/server and have a local symlink from each gameserver local dir, like //vps1/game1/data/maps point to //vps1/mnt/server/maps
Just make sure that your network drive is up and mounted befor starting your gameservers ;-)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!