[SOLVED] Is it possible to IDG passthrough with HDMI output??

DerekG

Mar 30, 2021
Noob here: to both Proxmox & Linux, with an Intel i7 8750H NUC in hand, which I need to use as a Windows 10 PC and a Proxmox VE.

I've got as far as IDG passthrough to Legacy and OVMF Win10 VM's, both are booting with the Intel Graphic Drivers, but I'm unable to get a video output from the HDMI port. Is this at all possible possble??

I really want to use Proxmox as my Linux VM / LXC / Docker / Kubernetes learnig platform, but I'm space constrained, hence a NUC with no option for a 2nd Graphics card.

I can post my config so far, but it seem there were changes in PVE 6.2 making many of the online guides outdated, so this is my last chance.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks - Derek

Hi avw,

Thanks for the feeback, I'll check the link.

For reference, I have the passthrough operational in both legacy & OVMF mode, the graphics are fully operational within the VM, my issue is no output to any of the external video port - correction, blank video output on the ports, as the Proxmox terminal display is only blanked out when the VM starts up.

I understand this is a fringe use-case, but I'll never utilise the power of this NUC if used exclusively for Windows or Proxmox.

Thanks again for your advice.

Derek

GVT will also not give you output on the physical connectors. Sorry for misunderstanding your situation, I thought the passthrough was not working at all and GVT would at least give you working graphics acceleration (without output) inside the VM.
Maybe having no physical output is a problem with the device driver that does not expect/work with a passed through integrated GPU. This is exactly what makes passthrough of integrated GPUs (that share memory with the CPU and possible other stuff that the driver assumes) always so difficult unless it is explicitly supported by the manufacturers.

Hi avw,

Thanks, that at least has provided a definative answer to the question.

I'll have to look for an alternative solution to my issue.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Derek

Well after a solid week of following various articles / tutorials, I've learned a lot about the Proxmox enviorment, I must say it looks brilliant for my home lab requirements, but I can't see a solution to this issue while a Windows workstation is a must have for me to work from home.

Thanks again

Derek

Hi all,

Just in case anyone else is trying to work around the IDG passthrough with display output, I have found another solution that works for me.

Purchased a USB3 Dual HDMI Displaylink certified adapter and passthrough that USB device to my Windows guest as the only Graphics card.

I installed the Debian Displaylink driver from here: https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/displaylink-debian (not sure if that was required or not)

So I now have dual FHD displays operational from the guest, it's not great for gaming, but good enough for productivity use and the IDG is still outputting the Proxmox console if I need access. And with this method I can add further USB Displaylink and assign to other guests as required.

Thanks

Derek

Reactions: TheH2SO4
6 month update, just in case anyone is interested.

I'm unsure if a change in Proxmox 7.0 has helped or if I've just gained more experience, but I am now able to passthrough the Intel iGPU with display output on the DisplayPort using GVT-d to a macOS VM.

I have the physical display out and remote access via NoMachine's NX protocol. If a keyboard and mouse is passed through I could utilise the VM as a stand alone workstation.

Anyone interested reply to this and I'll post my config.

DerekG

I'm unsure if a change in Proxmox 7.0 has helped or if I've just gained more experience, but I am now able to passthrough the Intel iGPU with display output on the DisplayPort using GVT-d to a macOS VM.

I have the physical display out and remote access via NoMachine's NX protocol. If a keyboard and mouse is passed through I could utilise the VM as a stand alone workstation.

DerekG
I would certainly like to hear your configuration and any “Ah Ha!” moments you had getting to where you are now. Proxmox and VM config. I’m just starting out. Thanks.

Reactions: rudi1234

DerekG
im really interested but in how to make it work for Windows VM!

DerekG
I would like to know how to do that... Im trying this for a lot of time, but without success...

I would like to know how to do that... Im trying this for a lot of time, but without success...
Have you tryied it with two graphics cards connected to your host? im thinking weather it could be a Proxmox limitation to the fact that you will have to have at least 1no. Graphics card to the Proxmox itself, and then a second one to the Windows VM...

have you tried this already? (i havent, and im not feeling like buying a second graphics card as of now - they are cheap as hell now :)

DerekG
yes please

Hi there

So, i just found out what was wrong.

Since i have a CPU w/ no Graphical Processing Unit integrated, (therefore, i only have 1no. GPU), ProxMox Hypervisor was splitting the resources of my GPU for him, and for the VM.

even though i tried to force that not to happen pretty hard, it turns out, something was also missing, that comes as a suggestion on the Troubleshooting section for some problems that can occurr,(that weren't really occurring but somehow i could relate.

on the /etc/default/grub i should also add 'video=efifb:eek:ff'

it started working as it should right away.

my problem was i was getting "Error 43"..
i have change the drivers even though they were recent and there has been some changes at Nvidia whereas they now allow GPU passtrough to VMs. no luck with that.

all the other configurations for GPU Passtrough on Proxmox i've done it.

this was the missing point.

I'm pasting this here in case anyone is desperate like i was :)

Cheers

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet amd_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction nofb nomodeset video=efifb:eek:ff"

;)

DerekG
This is pretty much what i'm trying to do! How did you do it?

Reactions: tristank

DerekG
Hey Derek, i would much appreciate if you could share your config.

Reactions: tristank

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!