Is it possible to change from UEFI bios to SeaBios on Windows Server VM?

Oct 26, 2021
Sweden
I'm having issues with a Window Server 2022 VM running UEFI bios hanging when automatically rebooting after update. Only way to recover is to stop/start the VM.
I have other Window server VM's running SeaBios without any issues.
I'm guessing it's not as easy as just changing bios to SeaBios in the hardware tab an everything should boot normally?

After som googling I probably need to convert the disk från GPT to MBR first
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...management/change-a-gpt-disk-into-an-mbr-disk
No, this is misleading. It doesn't "CONVERT" in the way most people are thinking. You MUST move the data off the drive. It ONLY works on an "empty" disk . You are only converting from GPT to MBR which, in essence, is just deleting and reformatting. Calling this CONVERT doesn't make sense (even on the Microsoft site) because if you follow their procedure to "convert" a disk with data on it, when you are done, you will have an empty MBR disk with no data.

After som googling I probably need to convert the disk från GPT to MBR first
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...management/change-a-gpt-disk-into-an-mbr-disk
As @Nospam2k said, this is wrong.

It says:
Convert a GPT disk with Disk Management
To complete the disk conversion by using Disk Management, follow these steps.
Back up or move the data on the GPT disk prior to conversion.
Delete all partitions and volumes on the GPT disk.

That means DELETE ALL YOUR DATA. So I'm sure you won't want to do that, it would be easier to just build a new VM instead.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!