Is it a good idea to install Proxmox on an HP ML350 G6 server?

Joe_Papa

Oct 28, 2020
I have an old HP ML350 G6 server with 2 Xeon X5675 CPUs @ 3.07GHz, 72GB ECC RAM, 6 gigabit network ports, 1.6TB RAID 6 array. I'm currently running ESXi 6.0 on it with 3 VMs (pfSense, and 2 Windows 10 VMs for my kids) and it works great... I'm not really looking to change just to change however I'm using the newest version of ESXi that is compatible with my hardware and I'm missing out on some of the newer functionality that is available with 7.0. Which brings me to my question...

Would Proxmox work well on the hardware I have listed above? Are there reasons you might recommend or not recommend it in my situation? I'm looking for whatever will keep my hardware useful and stable for as long as possible.

Last edited:
Welcome to my world ;)
I was happily using ESXi upon the point where VMware dropped HW-Support for my gear as well. It has been 6.5 for me but hey, what's the difference?
I was so upset that I started to look into KVM and finally was stranded here about I think 3 years ago. Honestly? I haven't regretted this at all. Still running the same platform. Smooth and stable (put some HW defects aside, Proxmox can't do anything about HW defects).
The only issues I have experienced are
1. Some kernels won't boot. The next kernel update solved the issue
2. Somehow my ZFS setup requires a reboot every 25 days. After that point in time one pool starts going nuts. Don't know why. Can live with that...
3. Don't boot from a USB stick if you are used to it on esxi. Those really put me into trouble... Get an 8GB SSD to boot from - cheaply available on EBay.
Go for it if you ask me!

Last edited:
We have running a lot of, of this old servers with Proxmox 5 and 6 in Hardwareraid. Everhting works fine an stable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!