IPv6 support for cluster

Nov 20, 2020
Hi,

I'm trying to setup the mail gateway cluster on IPv6, but even if I enter the IPv6 destination address when joining the cluster - slave connects, finds the IPv4 address and then switches to it and start using it.

Is there a way to join and keep all communication for cluster over IPv6 and not immediately switch to IPv4?

Even better would be if we could use both protocols for cluster sync and whichever works - that one is used. Maybe an option to add a cluster master by DNS name?

Thoughts?

Cheers, Jan

I'm trying to setup the mail gateway cluster on IPv6, but even if I enter the IPv6 destination address when joining the cluster - slave connects, finds the IPv4 address and then switches to it and start using it.
have not tried this - so take the remainder with a grain of salt:
* you could try to configure both nodes to resolve to their ipv6 address (by adapting /etc/hosts and removing the ipv4 address)
* the cluster.conf should be able to handle the ip field containing an ipv6 address
(alternatively you could try to just put the ipv6 addresses in /etc/pmg/cluster.conf (after joining the nodes with their ipv4 addresses - and restarting the machines)

Even better would be if we could use both protocols for cluster sync and whichever works - that one is used. Maybe an option to add a cluster master by DNS name?
To be honest these things are usually more brittle in practice than one expects (we switched to explicitly using the ip-addresses for PVE clusters recently (after changing to hostnames in between)) - and it leads to hard to diagnose bugs - so I think we'll stick to explicit addresses for the time being

Please share your results (especially logs and outputs if there are issues) - if it does not work (and cannot be fixed by editing a few config files) we can look into it (no promises on a timeframe though)

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!