Waschbüsch

Renowned Member
Dec 15, 2014
Munich
Hi all, I just tried to enable the 'iothread' flag for a disk on a test VM:

The disk is configured like this (from /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf):
scsi0: disks:vm-100-disk-1,cache=writeback,discard=on,size=4G

The scsi-backend is virtio.

The popup allows me to select the checkbox, but clicking 'OK' does not change the hard disk config. (Neither does it give me an error).

My thoughts are that some requirement to enabling the option is not met (in which case it should not be selectable?)

Can someone let me know under which circumstances I can enable the option?

Thanks,

Martin

Someone made some performance test with or without iothreads (virtio and virtio-scsi)?

I have made benchmark with ceph/rbd, which is cpu intensive.

with virtio+ iothread : 1 iothread - 1 disk: 70000 iops
2 iothread - 2 disk: 140000 iops
4 iothread - 4 disk: 380000 iops

with virtio without iothread : 1 disk: 70000 iops
2 disk: 70000 iops
4 disk: 70000 iops

with other storage (iscsi/nfs), I think you can already do more iops without iothread.

The plan for qemu 2.7/2.8 , is to be able to use multiple iothread for 1 disk.

It's also working with virtio-scsi (using virtio-scsi-single controller)

I am unable to make the checkbox "stick" like the OP, even with a virtio-scsi device. The disk is stored on a gluster FS, which is why I asked about network based vs. local.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!