IO delay + CPU Load with Intel SSDs

aschwarz2

May 13, 2022
I've got a pair of Intel DC S3520 480gb SSDs in a ZFS mirror. One of them has 36% wearout while the other has 34%. It seems that any intensive write operation at all locks up the host system and nightly backups to a remote host seem to make it just die. I've attached screenshots of both their SMART reports respectively, although I must admit I have no idea what I should be looking at here. I've got about only 5 VMs on them, 1 is a Windows VM and the others are Ubuntu respectively.
According to iotop one vm does write to those disks at around 5 ish Mb/s constantly though I'm not entirely sure this is the single handed culprit since there are period where it does write but io delay is <2%, but other periods when its >25%. I'm not sure if I should be replacing these SSDs at this point or not but it is an option, and I might be replacing them with Intel S4510 480gbs. Anyways, any pointers or places I should look for this problem?

1720283394801.png
1720283427898.png

This SSD does not seem to have a DRAM cache. DRAM-less SSDs usually do not have very good write performance and perform poorly under heavy workloads.

Try disable write cache (hdparm -W 0 /dev/sdd). I tested this with ceph and S4610 and it speedup all operations. If this helps you, remember to uncommnet this line "write_cache = off" in /etc/hdparm.conf

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!