Interfacing PMG with a Neural Network for spam score alteration

Dec 6, 2021
Hi,

I have trained a small model with highly curated spam and ham from our own PMG instance.

The model is behaving extremely well and I would like to use it to alter the spam score from PMG's spamassassin slightly.

Currently,
* the model can be ran in CLI in a conda env
* it accepts an .eml file as the input
* answers with a float score for spamassassin [-2,+2].

What would be my best options to interface PMG with this model ?

Thanks !

edit: If that makes it easier, I could expose the inference via a web API, taking the .eml as body and answering with JSON or plaintext.

Last edited:
There seems to be a way by creating a SpamAssassin Perl plugin, which in turn would call the python script or API.

If no recommendations are made around here, I will try this method and update the thread.

Hopefully that could help others.

I used the Custom Check Interface feature of PMG.
I have a script that properly queries my model and returns a score.

But I cannot see that score anywhere in the X-SPAM-LEVEL.
Is this expected ?

Script is in /usr/local/bin/pmg-custom-check
`custom_check 1` has been changed to /etc/pmg/pmg.conf
and I can see that my API is being hit.

Edit: OK, something's wrong with my custom check apparently.
This is visible in the tracking center `pmg-smtp-filter[572]: 31D8366705279DBE8F custom check error: got unexpected output!`

Last edited:
The output seems aligned with what the documentation states.
Yet I still get custom check error: got unexpected output!

root@spamfilter:~# /usr/local/bin/pmg-custom-check v1 /var/spool/pmg/spam/A0/2F9A966700405B62A0
v1
SCORE: 1.91

Am I missing something regarding what the custom check is supposed to return ?

Edit: this is extremely odd, despite the errors in the logs, when emails are classified as spam I can see the CustomCheck score.
Edit2: the errors aren't systematic, some emails do get the score [...] autolearn=no autolearn_force=no hits=CustomCheck(1.37)

Screenshot from 2024-06-18 09-43-49.pngScreenshot from 2024-06-18 09-43-40.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
The output seems aligned with what the documentation states.
Yet I still get custom check error: got unexpected output!

root@spamfilter:~# /usr/local/bin/pmg-custom-check v1 /var/spool/pmg/spam/A0/2F9A966700405B62A0
v1
SCORE: 1.91

Am I missing something regarding what the custom check is supposed to return ?
This should work - here a link to the relevant source-code:
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pmg-api....0e2aa33e6c2b286ab92;hb=refs/heads/master#l381
could you show the logs of one e-mail where it fails?

does your script also provide negative values (with fractional parts)? - I think there might be a glitch there in the source...

Reactions: AFrenchCompany
Thank you for investigating :)

Indeed, the script returns in the [-2,2] range which include negative values for emails it deems to be probably not spam.

I've applied the patch and can confirm that it works great.

Screenshot from 2024-06-21 08-30-58.png

If I may suggest something though, CustomCheck doesn't follow the same casing as other rules.
For consistency sake it could be more appropriate to display it as CUSTOM_CHECK

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!