Intel Xeon E-2288G vs. Xeon Silver 4215

DaGerba

Feb 5, 2015
Hi Everybody,

I am setting up a new Proxmox VE 6.2 machine for our 5-6 person office. It will host basically 3-4 guests: a Linux fileserver, a Win10 machine with a SQL-Server, a Win 10 Desktop for a homeoffice user and sometimes one or two Linux systems for testing.

The goal is to find a economical solution that still does this job smoothly. Therefore I aim to set up a system based on a Intel Xeon E-2288G, which would in the end be about 30-40 % cheaper than a comparable system based on Xeon Silver 4215.

I can not see, why server hardware providers always recommend the Xeon Scalable (Bronze, Silver or Gold) for virtualisation, instead of the Xeon E with 6 or 8 cores. When I directly compare them ( like here ) the Xeon E looks equal, or even better to me. Do I fail to see something? Is the Xeon E a bad desicion for my needs?

Thank you, for your opinions.

Greetings from Bavaria
Michael

Hi,

im not sure but I dont think a windows 10 machine would my prefer for sql server.
Maybe you can go with windows server and use one lizenz for this sql server and the other for your home-office users?
But that hat nothing to do with virtualization.

In my home lab I use a similar system, it's a HP DL20 Gen10 with E2136.
And i am pretty happy with it! Didn't find the bottleneck until now.

One important Difference between Xeon Silver... and Xeon E-Series is the amount of Ram. If you are using a Citrix-Host or Something like that you would not get happy with 128GB Ram.

CU

Good Morning,

thank you for your reply. Ram is not an issue. Until now the system is running flawless under PVE 4.4 with 32 GB RAM on a Xeon E3-1225 QuadCore. The new system is going to get 64 GB because of ZFS.

Have a nice day everybody!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!