Intel Xeon 5650 CPU & x86 EFI boot loader

itconstruct

Aug 3, 2009
I have an Apple Mac Pro 1,1 2006 with 2xIntel Xeon 5650 CPU's and a limitation of a 32 bit EFI bootloader but other than bootloader limitation it is a 64 bit machine.

Other than modifying the bootloader which is possible and putting in support for 32 bit will I encounter any issues with CPU incompatibility for CPU instruction sets or otherwise using this hardware for a home lab setup.

Happy to use an older version of Proxmox if required.

Could someone please advise.

I am familiar with the early versions of Proxmox from years ago.

Before anyone asks YES I should upgrade, but using this as a challenge if possible and to reuse existing hardware for a development home lab setup.

Hey,

have you got checked with a new installation of debian 10 32bits, which you install pve-kernel mannually after yuoir installation?

Hi Pifouney, No 32 bits is not suitable as I have 18GB of RAM in this machine and it is 64 bit capable BUT the Mac Pro 1,1 has a limitation of only 32 BIT bootloader. Not something you encounter everyday.

Due to this I have installed VMWare 6.0.0 and currently testing this out. Will see if it supports use of all the RAM that is the next step I am up to.

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Pifouney, No 32 bits is not suitable as I have 18GB of RAM in this machine and it is 64 bit capable BUT the Mac Pro 1,1 has a limitation of only 32 BIT bootloader. Not something you encounter everyday.

Due to this I have installed VMWare 6.0.0 and currently testing this out. Will see if it supports use of all the RAM that is the next step I am up to.

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
Ok, i've never encoutered a situation like that^^ sorry i've not more idea

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!