Intel Raid Web Console Installation

greenvomit8

Jul 31, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Does anyone know how to install Intel RAID Web 2 Console on a Proxmox server?
I just want to be able to remotely view the status of the Proxmox RAID from a Windows client.
The readme that comes with the Intel Linux download does not make any sense. I think that it is only supported for Red Hat and SUSE environments
Have tried instructions to create .deb files in the following URL but got errors after running the following command
http://undefinederror.org/installing-intel-raid-web-console-2-ubuntu/
dpkg -i *.deb

Last edited:
Sorry for digging up corpses, but this weekend I've been busy getting the Intel Raid Web Console 2 (which from now on I will call RWC2) running with Proxmox and I'd like to share a little How To here. I can't guarantee that this will work for you or that the RWC2 will work properly, so I'd be happy if anyone could have a look at it.

Info: It will not be possible to access RWC2 directly via the pve host by typing in the IP and port. You need to install RWC2 as client to access it.

Info 2: Had to remove all links because this is my first post and new users are not allowed to post external links.

Please see this as an workaround. The RWC2 is not meant to run on Debian systems and this should not be used on productive system.

Before you start: make a full backup of your system!

I started with a fresh installation on a new server, so it wasn't so bad for me to reset everything when I had problems, but if something goes wrong it might be that the system doesn't work properly anymore.

1. Environment

Overview of the system environment in which I installed the RWC2:

a) Proxmox version

pve-manager/5.2-10/6f892b40 (running kernel: 4.15.18-7-pve)​

To check what Proxmox version you're currently using open the CLI (either via SHELL in the webmanager or by connetcing to the pve host via SSH) and type in
Code:
pveversion

b) Subscription

I have a Proxmox VE Community Subscription, this is maybe important when it comes to installing dependencies.​

c) RAID Controller

Intel RS2BL080​

2. Requirements

a) Update

Make sure that you update Proxmox to the latest stable state and reboot the host before you start.​

b) RWC2 software

Download the latest version of the RWC2 from Intel: downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+RAID+Web+Console+2
I used version 17.05.00.2 from 8/28/2017. Make sure that your raid controller is supported by the software.

Unzip the package on your local machine, go to RWC2_SNMP_MR614\RWC2_SNMP\RWC2\Linux-x64. This folder should contain the archive RWC2_linux_x64_installer-17.05.00-02.tar.gz. Unpack this archive also and you will find a folder named "disk" with the following content:
  • deleteOldVersion.sh
  • install.csh
  • Lib_Utils2-1.00-08.noarch.rpm
  • LSI-AdapterSAS.mib
  • LSI-AdapterSASIR.mib
  • RAID_Web_Console_2-17.05.00-02.noarch.rpm
  • readme.txt
  • RunRPM.sh
  • RunRPM_vmware.sh
  • sas_ir_snmp-17.05-0002.x86_64.rpm
  • sas_snmp-17.05-0002.x86_64.rpm
  • vmware_install.sh
Upload the folder "disk" to the pve host into directory /tmp/.​

c) Firewall

Port 3071 and 5571 need to be accessible on the pve host according to the RWC2 readme (on Proxmox default installation everything is fine).​

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Info: From now on I assume that you are connected via SSH on the pve host and logged in as root.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

b) alien

We will use alien to install the rpm packages (more info about alien: wiki.debian.org/Alien). Run the following command to install alien:

Code:
apt-get install alien

c) Create symlink for libstdc++.so.6

RWC2 requires the module libstdc++.so.6 (see RunRPM.sh line 8) which should be available on the pve host at
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 but RWC2 looks for the module in folder /usr/lib64/ which does not exist on the pve host. So we create the directory and the the symlink which links from the desired location to the actual location:
Code:
mkdir /usr/lib64/
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6  /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6

3. Installation

Go to /tmp/disk/ where your copied the RWC2 files in step 2. b):
Code:
cd /tmp/disk/

Run the following commands in this order, note that every step can take a while. There may occur some warnings or even errors but for me it worked anyway.

Code:
alien -i --scripts Lib_Utils2-1.00-08.noarch.rpm
alien -i --scripts RAID_Web_Console_2-17.05.00-02.noarch.rpm
alien -i --scripts sas_snmp-17.05-0002.x86_64.rpm
alien -i --scripts sas_ir_snmp-17.05-0002.x86_64.rpm

That's it. I recommend restarting the pve host even if it may not be necessary.​

4. Start RWC2

To start RWC2 switch to the directory /usr/local/RAID Web Console 2/Framework/ by typing:

Code:
cd "/usr/local/RAID Web Console 2/Framework/"

you will find
  • startup.sh - this starts the service
  • shutdown.sh - this shuts it down.
To start the service within CLI use:

Code:
./startup.sh

This will show a lot of post messages and at this state you should be able to connect to RWC2 with your local client by using the IP address of your pve host (to login use root and your pve root passwort).

Ashampoo_Snap_Montag, 12. November 2018_00h57m21s_001_.png

5. Autostart RWC2

To start RWC2 automatically on boot follow the follwing steps:

a) Edit startup.sh

Somehow the home-variable seems to be set wrong which will cause the service to fail. To correct it edit startup.sh by entering:

Code:
nano "/usr/local/RAID Web Console 2/Framework/startup.sh"
Change the content taht it looks like this (first line is important):
Code:
cd "/usr/local/RAID Web Console 2/Framework"
LD_PRELOAD=../jre/lib/amd64/libjsig.so;export LD_PRELOAD
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`:/opt/lsi/Apache:/opt/lsi/Pegasus:/opt/lsi/openssl;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
../jre/bin/java -classpath ../jre/lib/rt.jar:../jre/lib/jsse.jar:../jre/lib/jce.jar:mail.jar:Framework.jar -Djava.library.path=. Framework.FrameworkManager

Save the file.​

b) Create systemd startup script

Code:
nano /etc/systemd/system/rwc2.service

paste in and save:
Code:
[Unit]
After=pve-manager.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/bin/bash /usr/local/RAID\x20Web\x20Console\x202/Framework/startup.sh

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

c) Install systemd service

Paste and execute the follwing commands:

Code:
chmod 664 /etc/systemd/system/rwc2.service
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable rwc2.service

You can test the service by running:

Code:
systemctl start rwc2.service
systemctl status rwc2.service

Output should be like:

Code:
rwc2.service
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/rwc2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2018-11-12 00:36:54 CET; 1s ago
 Main PID: 32117 (bash)
    Tasks: 58 (limit: 4915)
   Memory: 73.7M
      CPU: 2.057s
   CGroup: /system.slice/rwc2.service
           ├─32117 /bin/bash /usr/local/RAID Web Console 2/Framework/startup.sh
           ├─32124 ../jre/bin/java -classpath ../jre/lib/rt.jar:../jre/lib/jsse.jar:../jre/lib/jce.jar:mail.jar:Framework.jar -Djava.library.path=. Framework.FrameworkManager
           └─32175 ../jre/bin/java -classpath ../jre/lib/rt.jar:../jre/lib/jsse.jar:../jre/lib/jce.jar:mail.jar:Framework.jar -Djava.library.path=. Framework.FrameworkManager

Fin

I have no experience if this runs stable or causes problems on Proxmox, I will write an update after I had this running for a while.

If you see improvements (and I am sure there is a lot room for it) please let me know. Also if you get problems by trying this by yourself just ask, I am glad to help although I am not an expert in those things at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: marsian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!