Intel NUC doesn't recognize SSD after reboot

user789

Mar 1, 2020
Hi,

I have a intel NUC with a 512GB SSD and 1TB HDD, running Proxmox. Everything worked fine until I rebooted my Proxmox node. Now the NUC doesn't want to boot and even in the BIOS my SSD isn't recognized anymore. I think the problem may be caused by executing the command 'sudo cfdisk'. I got an error where I had to choose what label type the disk was and I got the option GPT, DOS and a few others. If I remember correctly I chose DOS, maybe this is where everything went wrong.

Now I think I might be able to fix this using a bootable Linux USB, but I'm not sure what next steps to take.

Does anybody have experience with this?

Thanks!

even in the BIOS my SSD isn't recognized anymore.

If it's really the case, you will have a lot of other problem. Maybe you meant that it won't show booting from it?

To my knowledge, there is no tool that could destroy your physical drive in such a way, that your bios will not recognize it (besides tinkering with its firmware).

If you just cannot boot from the SSD it could very well be that you destroyed the partition table (which was GPT).

Try booting a linux-live cd and check `dmesg` and `journalctl -r` for information whether the drive is still recognized

If yes - reinstall PVE and restore your guests and data from backup

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!