Intel modular server: add volume group to proxmox without power off

Kaya

Jun 20, 2012
Hi to all.
I have one intel modular server, with 2 server inside and 8 disk.
I need to expand the disk space, so I've bought other 8 SAS disk.
Putting inside the IMS chassis and create storage pool is not a problem.
Now the question is: can I add the virtual drive (using the Shared LUN functionality) to both server without power off them?
Will the kernel/server support this ?

thanks in advice

For Intel Corporation , there will be no issue if I don't tuch the Operating System disk.
Really, no one tried this before?

For Intel Corporation , there will be no issue if I don't tuch the Operating System disk.
Really, no one tried this before?

Yes we have done that. We first had 7 sas disks and added 7 more. Then we create a new storage pool with new shared disks.

Then you have to reboot each server to show the new disks and you are good to go!

A tip: don't create one great shared disk, but mutiple. Else your system will slow down for a long time when the IMS is checking the raid volumes.

But you need to reboot the servers! (but not at the same time ;-))

Really thank you for the answer.
Btw, I will create 4 storage pool with 2 raid 1 disks (600gb each). I prefer to avoid raid 5 or other types! :)

Really thank you for the answer.
Btw, I will create 4 storage pool with 2 raid 1 disks (600gb each). I prefer to avoid raid 5 or other types! :)

Your welcome!

We have only RAID 10 (so raid 1 and 0 combined) but we experienced a slowed down system. So therefore the heads up ;-)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!