Intel IGD where Aspeed AST2400 via motherboard is only video out?

Leif Julen

Nov 7, 2017
I have an odd question regarding a Supermicro X11SSL-F I was recently gifted and whether it makes sense to pair it with a CPU having an integrated GPU. I don't believe the motherboard supports video out from the integrated GPU, but I would still like to access the GPU hardware and pass it to a VM to take advantage of it (such as hardware transcoding of videos for Plex server).

Since the only video output from the motherboard is via VGA using Aspeed AST2400, I want to know whether the Intel HD Graphics P630 hardware on a Xeon E3-1245 v6 could still be accessed and utilized, even if it is not used to drive a monitor. I do not have a CPU with integrated graphics in order to test lspci output, so I would like to have some input before wasting any unecessary time and money.

Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

Humbly yours,
Leif

Hi, i successfully use hd610 GPU of my pentium G4560T on asrock E3c236d2i for plex/emby transcoding in LXC container. Some motherboards with ipmi can do that, some not. I think there is a big chance that you board can utilize iGpu for plex/emby.
I know that Supermicro X11SSH-F can do what you want....
I cant post links, google "c236 igd ipmi" on unraid forum.

I think it will not work because of the C232 chipset.
I have a P10S-I motherboard with this chipst.
Before having a E3-1230V6 (no iGPU) i had a G4600T with integrated HD 630, and lspci had never list the iGPU.

Thanks for the feedback! I think cromatn5 may be right that C232 chipset is going to be the limiting factor for IGD. Unless someone else says otherwise, I'm going to assume I would need C236 chipset in order to take advantage of any IGD.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!