Intel HD Graphics 620 GVT-g not working

Minionguyjpro

Oct 24, 2023
Hello! I am trying to solve an issue on my NUC7i3BNH where GVT-g doesn't seem to work.
CPU: 4x Intel Core i3-7100U
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 620
16GB RAM

/etc/modules:
Code:
GNU nano 7.2                         modules                                 
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
# Parameters can be specified after the module name.
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd
mdev
kvmgt
I have also added the kernel parameters including ``i915.enable_gvt=1``.
But MDEV types is greyed out and the following also doesn't work:
Bash:
root@NUC7i3BNH:/etc# cd /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0
root@NUC7i3BNH:/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0# cd mdev_supported_types
-bash: cd: mdev_supported_types: No such file or directory
root@NUC7i3BNH:/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0#

I managed to get it to work by detaching vfio-pci as kernel driver from the GPU and attaching the i915 one back. Still no clue with full passthrough though...

@Minionguyjpro I have exactly the same model of NUC and having issues also. Do you mind describing how do you do this detaching vfio-pci as kernel driver?

@Minionguyjpro I have exactly the same model of NUC and having issues also. Do you mind describing how do you do this detaching vfio-pci as kernel driver?
Run echo -n 0000:00:02.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/unbind and echo -n 0000:00:02.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/i915/bind (for this command make sure to first load the i915 module with modprobe i915!) to bind it back to the regular i915 driver. I think unloading of the vfio-pci driver is not needed, you just have to make sure that the i915 driver is loaded and being used for the GPU, by doing it this way. Do remember that this is a temporary fix though. If you want to make it permanent, you'd have to undo all vfio-pci changes and do stuff to allow the i915 module to load instead. But it's a good way to test it out quickly.

You would use vfio-pci for the device if you want GVT-d (which is "normal" PCIe passthrough), for GVT-g (mediated devices) you need the Intel driver (i915) that enables that instead.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!