[SOLVED] intel embedded server raid technology 2 (ESRT2) & PVE

edp_maddaena

Jun 22, 2021
Hi.

I am trying to install PVE 6.4 on a pair of intel hosts.

raid controller is not recognized and in tech specs I hav found that hosts are using an emedded server raid tecnhology 2 (drivers seems to be present only for red hat systems).

the server family is this: Intel® Server System R1304GZ4GC

could you please me help me to solve this problem?

thank you

Is it a dedicated RAID controller or something that the motherboard has? If it is the latter, and needs dedicated drivers, I suspect that this is a so-called "fake raid". Meaning, that you can configure the RAID in the BIOS, but the actual RAID is handled by the driver according to the configuration. According to the specs it is a software RAID.

In that case, you would be better off to disable it and use ZFS to have a software RAID that Proxmox VE provides out of the box and which can be read by other Linux installations (and everything that supports OpenZFS).

Hi.

Thank you for your answer.

I think that it is something integrated in motherboard.

In one of the two hosts I have installed a dedicated raid controller and now Proxmox VE installer detect the disk.

I will so proceed in this way installing the raid controller on both nodes.

You can close this ticket and thank you very much for your help.

Antonio

I went ahead and marked the thread as solved. You can do so yourself as well in the future by editing the first post and selecting the prefix from the dropdown next to the title. :)

Hi.

I am trying to install PVE 6.4 on a pair of intel hosts.

raid controller is not recognized and in tech specs I hav found that hosts are using an emedded server raid tecnhology 2 (drivers seems to be present only for red hat systems).

the server family is this: Intel® Server System R1304GZ4GC

could you please me help me to solve this problem?

thank you
Change option in BIOS/EFI from ERST2 to RSTe - working without problem. Drives are recognized as normal SATA/SAS. If you dont have RAID key connect drives to SCU 0-4 port.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!