Installing Proxmox on a legacy system

Juub

Jan 9, 2021
Hello, I have an old Dell PowerEdge T310 (from around 2010) with a PERC 6 RAID controller.

I am looking to use Proxmox as an hypervisor (ESXI is way too expensive). I verified the ISOs on the website and they all seem to be fairly recent. My system however is very old with a 2.40GHz Xeon 3430 4-Core and I would like to know what would be the latest version of Proxmox it supports.

Thanks in advance.

Try a Debian LiveCD (the basis of Proxmox) and Ubuntu LTS (the Proxmox kernel base). If they both work, then your hardware is probably supported by Proxmox.
Or just try the latest Proxmox 6.3, because you don't want to be stuck on an old version (with potential bugs and security issues). The Linux base of Proxmox tends to support old hardware until there is no developer in the world left that has (access to) the hardware to test new Linux versions.

It wont be an issue to run latest proxmox on it.

But don't expect much from a 11 year old server.

4 Core for a virtualization system?
That's not making a lot of fun.
Also memory will probably be limited heavily.
Check that your CPU has virtualization features. As of 2010 all the procs should have those but better safe than later on sorry and wasting a lot of time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!