[SOLVED] Installing Proxmox backup server in proxmox

Dec 27, 2021
Hello, I have a proxmox virtualization server with disks of about 90TB. Unfortunately I don't have another physical machine to set up Proxmox backup. Is it safe to set up proxmox backup inside proxmox virtualization? Or will it cause performance issues?

Additionally, my main proxmox machine is configured with ZFS raid10. In this case, if proxmox backup is to be installed in proxmox virtualization, which file system should be installed?

In this case, using raid seems unreasonable to me. But I'm not sure about ZFS. Because ZFS will work in ZFS.

You are planning to store your PBS backups on the same ZFS pool you use to store your guests? I would atleast get some new disks that are not part of the same pool so you don't loose your backups at the same time as your guests in case your complete pool dies.
Also keep in mind that PBS was designed to use SSDs, so when using HDDs you get terrible performance and daily/weekly maintaince tasks like verify and GC may take hours or even days.
And PBS doesn't care about the filesystem as long it is posix compatible. So ext4 or XFS would be fine. Or you could use "qm set" to passthrough (no physical passthrough, the disks will still be virtualized) these disks to the guest and then create your ZFS pool inside the PBS guest. That way you also don't get ZFS ontop of ZFS. But ZFS isn't that important because deduplication, encryption, compression, replication and even bit rot protection is already done by PBS in software. If you just want raid installing a debian 11 with PBS ontop would work too and that way you can use the Debian installer to create a mdadm software raid (which is not officially supported but works fine and has way less overhead).

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!