Installing Proxmox 7.2

Dappy

Feb 10, 2022
I have a Pfsense box that I want to run Proxmox on. I tried installing 7.2 and 6.4 to no avail.
I always get stuck at

"attempting to get dhcp leases... ../../../lib/isc/timer.c:797: fatal error: RUNTIME_CHECK(isc_time_now((&now)) == 0) failed"

I don't know why it wouldn't be able to get a lease as I have a DHCP server running and the Pfsense instance can easily get assigned an IP.
I'm a linux newbie so all help is appreciated.

Hey,

just to be sure, maybe check the checksum[1] of the iso. So this error happens before the installer UI shows up, right? And, if I understood correctly you have a pfsense running on your network that gives out IP addresses. Could you launch the installer in debug mode( Advanced Options -> Install Proxmox VE (Debug mode) ), at some point you will be asked to press CTRL-D in order to "continue startup", do that and you should be dropped into a shell. Then run dhclient -v, does that work or are any errors shown? After running it you can check with ip a what IP you got from the DHCP server. If this does not work there is something wrong with your DHCP server.

[1] https://www.proxmox.com/de/downloads/item/proxmox-ve-7-2-iso-installer

Thanks for your reply Hannes. First I want to correct you that Pfsense was already running on the PC I'm trying to install Proxmox on (hence i'm sure the NiC is working). I've kind of given up on a direct ISO install as i never made it to the GUI installer (always ends up at the same error mentioned above).

I tried to install Proxmox VE over Debian 11 Buster which was going smoothly, But when i boot into the Proxmox VE kernel all the network interfaces show up as "unmanaged" and i get no network access. This is annoying as I picked up a somewhat beefy PC (i5 8250U, 16 GB DDR4) to have room for more virtualization, but now it might be stuck as a Pfsense box forever I guess.

Note: My old router is currently my DHCP server as i get this sorted, and it's giving my raspberry pi and pc leases correctly.

Could you still try dhclient -v in the debug mode of the installer? It might be helpful in finding out why the installer is failing in the first place. Also, I assume the network works correctly after the Debian install, could you post ip a + cat /etc/network/interfaces in the Debian install before and after installing PVE?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!