Installing Proxmox 5.0b2 on HP DL360 G5

gsupp

Jun 27, 2017
TX, USA
I ran into some trouble installing Proxmox 5.0b2 on a HP DL360 G5. Apparently the ACPI implementation in their BIOS is broken, even in the latest BIOS version for this server. The problems manifested as a completely blank/black screen in the graphical installer and once I got it installed, errors booting Proxmox like the following:

Code:
[Firmware Bug]: the BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources
NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 23s!

I was able to resolve both issues by adding "acpi=off" as a kernel parameter from within grub. After you get Proxmox installed and booted for the first time, you'll want to modify /boot/grub/grub.cfg to automatically pass the "acpi=off" parameter. Every time you update the kernel you'll also have to modify the new entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg. If you're unfamiliar, go to askubuntu.com and search for question number 160036 (I can't post links yet).

Reactions: vcp_ai
Thank you very much for your hint, but how do you pass this parameter to the Proxmox Installer ?
I.E. how can I access grub prompt within Proxmox ISO installer ?

Regards

Thank you very much for your hint, but how do you pass this parameter to the Proxmox Installer ?
I.E. how can I access grub prompt within Proxmox ISO installer ?

Try going to askubuntu.com and search for question number 160036 which gives some additional details...basically hold shift during boot (before the installer starts) to display the grub menu, then press "e" to edit the first boot entry, add "acpi=off" after "quiet" on the "linux" line, then press Ctrl-X to boot.

HI, thanks for your hints.
I was trying all kind of combinations of Shift (and Esc and Space as read on other forums) with no success, until I accidentally pressed 'e' on the Proxmox Installation Menu, and it worked.
This installattion menu seems to be the Grub menu, and so I can press 'e' to edit params.....
Now installing ....

Thanks again.!!

Glad you got it working! I wasn't exactly sure what the key combination was, since it's been a little while since I installed Proxmox on the HP. Just pressing "e" makes sense with the "Welcome to Proxmox" screen being the grub menu.

pve-install-01.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!