[SOLVED] Installing NVIDIA drivers?

ipkpjersi

Jul 31, 2017
Hi,

I have two servers running Proxmox 5.3 each with an NVIDIA GT730. I am trying to install NVIDIA drivers so I can use nvidia-smi to monitor the GPU temperatures because I am curious.

I have tried installing the nvidia-driver from stretch non-free as well as stretch-backports non-free, however it does not work. When I try "modprobe nvidia", this is the output I see: https://i.imgur.com/SMjm2dz.png

When I run "dkms status", it says "nvidia-current 384.130, added" or something similar (can't really remember, I have purged the drivers for now).

Does anyone have any advice for installing NVIDIA drivers on Proxmox?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks like the module was not compiled already into kernel right. Can you post your completely installszenario?

I'm not sure how it didn't compile properly - it did install dkms and dkms did output something to the effect of "nvidia-current 383.10, added" or something similar.

How do i post an installzenario? I'm not sure what that means, I'm not super experienced with Linux.

I'm not sure how it didn't compile properly - it did install dkms and dkms did output something to the effect of "nvidia-current 383.10, added" or something similar.

How do i post an installzenario? I'm not sure what that means, I'm not super experienced with Linux.
Yes i meant that. Reinstall it an post the output from apt/dkms.

Yes i meant that. Reinstall it an post the output from apt/dkms.
As I had thought I recalled earlier, here is the output of "dkms status":
9N648Yo.png

Here is the output of "modprobe nvidia":
HQBfGTM.png

Here is the log:
https://hastebin.com/awanamedun.sql

I'm not sure how to install the kernel headers for a PVE kernel.
You see, that didn't work:
Code:
Module build for kernel 4.15.18-9-pve was skipped since the
kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
You must install the headers before.
Code:
apt install pve-headers

Reactions: ipkpjersi
Hi,

Yep, pve-headers was the package name I needed to install. After that, I installed nvidia-driver again and then it installed the DKMS modules properly this time and the driver loaded successfully. I then downloaded and installed nvidia-smi which works great now.

Thanks.

Hi,

Yep, pve-headers was the package name I needed to install. After that, I installed nvidia-driver again and then it installed the DKMS modules properly this time and the driver loaded successfully. I then downloaded and installed nvidia-smi which works great now.

Thanks.
Fine :) So please mark the Thread as "solved" by edit the first post. Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!