Installing Nvidia drivers trying to remove proxmox-ve packages?

iamspartacus

Sep 9, 2020
I'm trying to install the latest nvidia drivers on my recently upgrade proxmox 7.1 server and I'm getting the following output:

Code:
server:~# apt install nvidia-driver firmware-misc-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  proxmox-archive-keyring
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  glx-alternative-mesa glx-alternative-nvidia glx-diversions libegl-nvidia0 libfontenc1 libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx libgles-nvidia1 libgles-nvidia2 libgles1 libgles2 libglx-nvidia0 libnvidia-cfg1 libnvidia-eglcore libnvidia-glcore
  libnvidia-glvkspirv libnvidia-ml1 libnvidia-rtcore libopengl0 libxaw7 libxfont2 libxkbfile1 libxmu6 libxnvctrl0 libxpm4 libxt6 nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver-bin nvidia-driver-libs nvidia-egl-common nvidia-egl-icd
  nvidia-installer-cleanup nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-kernel-support nvidia-legacy-check nvidia-modprobe nvidia-persistenced nvidia-settings nvidia-support nvidia-vdpau-driver nvidia-vulkan-common nvidia-vulkan-icd
  update-glx x11-xkb-utils xfonts-base xfonts-encodings xfonts-utils xserver-common xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
Suggested packages:
  vulkan-utils xfs | xserver xfonts-100dpi | xfonts-75dpi xfonts-scalable
Recommended packages:
  nvidia-driver-libs-i386
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  proxmox-ve pve-firmware pve-kernel-5.13 pve-kernel-5.4
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  firmware-misc-nonfree glx-alternative-mesa glx-alternative-nvidia glx-diversions libegl-nvidia0 libfontenc1 libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx libgles-nvidia1 libgles-nvidia2 libgles1 libgles2 libglx-nvidia0 libnvidia-cfg1 libnvidia-eglcore
  libnvidia-glcore libnvidia-glvkspirv libnvidia-ml1 libnvidia-rtcore libopengl0 libxaw7 libxfont2 libxkbfile1 libxmu6 libxnvctrl0 libxpm4 libxt6 nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver nvidia-driver-bin nvidia-driver-libs nvidia-egl-common
  nvidia-egl-icd nvidia-installer-cleanup nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-kernel-support nvidia-legacy-check nvidia-modprobe nvidia-persistenced nvidia-settings nvidia-support nvidia-vdpau-driver nvidia-vulkan-common
  nvidia-vulkan-icd update-glx x11-xkb-utils xfonts-base xfonts-encodings xfonts-utils xserver-common xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
0 upgraded, 52 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/120 MB of archives.
After this operation, 19.1 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
W: (pve-apt-hook) !! WARNING !!
W: (pve-apt-hook) You are attempting to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you really want to permanently remove 'proxmox-ve' from your system, run the following command
W: (pve-apt-hook)       touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'
W: (pve-apt-hook) run apt purge proxmox-ve to remove the meta-package
W: (pve-apt-hook) and repeat your apt invocation.
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you are unsure why 'proxmox-ve' would be removed, please verify
W: (pve-apt-hook)       - your APT repository settings
W: (pve-apt-hook)       - that you are using 'apt full-upgrade' to upgrade your system
E: Sub-process /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook

I can not believe how difficult it is to install nvidia drivers on proxmox. This seems like something that Proxmox should be providing documentation on.

i believe the issue here is the package 'firmware-misc-nonfree'

we alraedy include most firmwares in 'pve-firmware' anyway so that package should not be necessary

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!