Installing Nvidia drivers on Proxmox host.

Jackster

Nov 12, 2014
I need the Nvidia drivers installed on my Proxmox host as I am having to run Plex on the host rather than in a VM.
I have a p400 and am running the latest Proxmox.

root@proxmox:~# lspci | grep -i nvidia
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL [Quadro P400] (rev a1)
02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

root@proxmox:~# nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL [Quadro P400] [10de:1cb3] (rev a1)

Checking card: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL [Quadro P400] (rev a1)
Your card is supported by the default drivers and legacy driver series 390.
It is recommended to install the
nvidia-driver
package.

I run apt install nvidia-driver and it downloads and installs stuff.
Restarted and tried nvidia-smi but it fails.

Code:
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Code:
root@proxmox:~# lshw -c display
  *-display UNCLAIMED
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: GP107GL [Quadro P400]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff
  *-display
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 09
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:36 memory:f7400000-f77fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

As you can see the driver is not initializing with the GPU.

Any ideas?

Only ever done ATI on uBuntu so this is quite new to me.
Thanks

PVE blacklists the nvidia driver by default, as it is known to cause some issues. Check the file /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf for more, or remove it to disable the blacklisting and allow the driver to be loaded.

To make sure the package has been installed correctly, you can also attempty to manually load the driver with modprobe nvidia.

PVE blacklists the nvidia driver by default, as it is known to cause some issues. Check the file /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf for more, or remove it to disable the blacklisting and allow the driver to be loaded.

To make sure the package has been installed correctly, you can also attempty to manually load the driver with modprobe nvidia.
Should that blacklisting not be reverted?
The related bug is 5 years old and seemingly closed/fixed (https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=701).

AFAIU the bug was closed *because* we added the blacklist, not because the underlying issue was fixed. Could maybe be removed now, but tbh it's very rarely necessary to load the NVIDIA module anyway and you might as well just remove the config manually then. Removing it now would require a lot of testing to make sure it runs stable, and for 99% of users nouveau will do the job just fine...

In any case, if it really bothers you, you're welcome to open an issue on our bugtracker.

Not really bothered, am using the Nvidia run-file installation now, works fine with Proxmox. Couldn't get the Nvidia Debian packages to work on Proxmox personally.

Not really bothered, am using the Nvidia run-file installation now, works fine with Proxmox. Couldn't get the Nvidia Debian packages to work on Proxmox personally.

Can you elaborate on how you got this working? I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get the nvidia drivers to load through the Debian packages as well with no success.

Can you elaborate on how you got this working? I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get the nvidia drivers to load through the Debian packages as well with no success.
Well, same for me. So I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia site, the run file. You can remove the Debian packages before, or the installer will tell you to do so I believe.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!