Installing LAPP Turnkey Linux

jason_adams

Nov 16, 2011
I'm trying to install the LAPP VM, I uploaded the ISO to /templates/iso, mounted the ISO in the virtual rom, allocated space, memory, etc... but when I try to start the VM I get the following:

start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 100 -chardev socket,id=monitor,path=/var/run/qemu-server/100.mon,server,nowait -mon chardev=monitor,mode=readline -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/100.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/100.pid -daemonize -readconfig /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-usb.cfg -device usb-tablet,bus=ehci.0,port=6 -name LAPP -smp sockets=1,cores=1 -nodefaults -boot menu=on,order=dcn -vga cirrus -tdf -k en-us -drive file=/var/lib/vz/template/iso/turnkey-lapp-11.1-lucid-x86.iso,if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native -device ide-drive,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=device-ide2 -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw,if=none,id=drive-ide0,aio=native,boot=on -device ide-drive,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0,id=device-ide0 -m 2048 -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap100i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge -device rtl8139,mac=EA:97:2D:83:8E:DE,netdev=net0 -cpuunits 1000' failed: exit code 1 (500)

Is there documentation somewhere I'm not finding that explains exit code 1 (500)?

pls also post the output of 'pveversion -v'

and the VM config file, see /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf

Hello Tom,I'm sorry, is there a place to type and receive the 'pveversion -v' command within the UI? Or do I do this physically at the server command-line?Here's the conf:

ide0: local:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw
ostype: l26
memory: 2048
sockets: 1
net0: rtl8139=EA:97:2D:83:8E:DE,bridge=vmbr0
ide2: local:iso/turnkey-lapp-11.1-lucid-x86.iso,media=cdrom
name: LAPP
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 1
boot: dcn

run 'pveversion -v' on the console, connect via ssh, or open a "shell" via the gui.

Got it.

pveversion -v
pve-manager: 2.0-4 (pve-manager/2.0/52943683)
running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.0-46
pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve: 2.6.32-46
lvm2: 2.02.86-1pve1
clvm: 2.02.86-1pve1
corosync-pve: 1.4.1-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-1
libqb: 0.5.1-1
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.7-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-7
qemu-server: 2.0-1
pve-firmware: 1.0-13
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-5
libpve-access-control: 1.0-1
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-4
vncterm: 1.0-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve1
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

I just tried it here, no issue. I used virtio for disks and network. here is my config.

Code:
root@hp4:~# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/119.conf
net0: virtio=5A:33:68:4E:34:20,bridge=vmbr0
ide2: NFS-ISO:iso/turnkey-lapp-11.2-lucid-x86.iso,media=cdrom
name: tlk
bootdisk: virtio0
virtio0: local:119/vm-119-disk-1.raw
cores: 1
ostype: l26
memory: 1024
sockets: 1

if this does not work on your side its probably because I got a new version of Proxmox VE 2.0 beta - we will push this to the repository soon.

Unfortunately I'm not understanding these configurations yet, and I'd rather not waste your time with perpetual novice questions. Is there a place I can read about all of this as to educate myself?

Otherwise I'm unfamiliar with how it means I'm booting from an IDE — which I assume to be a virtual drive — versus you using Virtio, or where you even selected the alternative.

Lastly, is upgrading betas a patch or re-install process?

Much appreciated, Tom.

It is. I uploaded it via FileZilla. I didn't type the address as such; I selected it from the local storage.

I do notice, though, I'm using 11.1 and Tom has 11.2, so I'll try downloading the newer version to see if it makes any difference.

Much appreciated, Dietmar.

It did not make any difference — downloading LAPP 11.2.

I'd really like to get using the VM. Is 2.0 not at a place where I can rely on it quite yet? Should I step back to 1.9?

2.0 is beta. if you want a stable system go for 1.9.

2.0 is beta, only use it for testing. if you want a stable system go for 1.9.

Fair enough. My server purposes are so simple I figured I'd go beta, assuming the simplest features would work, and report oddities. But apparently that's not the present case. I'll fall-back to 1.9 for now and look forward to 2.0 being released, or at least a stable release candidate.

if this does not work on your side its probably because I got a new version of Proxmox VE 2.0 beta - we will push this to the repository soon.

Tom,
not to get pushy, but I've a system to install tonight, which would be good to test using newer prox 2.0 debs.

It'd be a good candidate to stress test bridged networking on.

else I'll just use 1.9 .

we plan to move the packages before the weekend, also a new ISO image. still some issues to fix so no change for today.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!