Installing from USB

3zero6

Oct 18, 2023
This is my first post and I would consider myself a big newbie. I have a server that was gifted to me and I would like to start learning about installing/Setting up VMs within Proxmox.

A friend of mine help me get to a point where I have Proxmox installed and running from a USB (16gb) which is connected to my server. I have another USB connected to the server as well. On that USB are two ISOs (One that is Win10 and another that is Win Server 2016). My server is connected to and running from another room in my house. I have no issues logging into Proxmox from a browser on another computer.

I am trying to figure out how to install the ISOs to the main drive in the server. Can this be accomplished by installing through the web browser Proxmox console OR will I need to connect a display and keyboard tp my server and install directly from there.

Any advise or links to previous solution are greatly appreciated. Thanks Proxmox Community!

Did you install PVE from or to a USB stick? The latter one should be avoided.

And how do you want to install Win10/Win2016?

Installing it next to PVE (Dualboot or booting from different disks) would have to be done via keyboard+display directly on the server.
If you want to run them as VMs you would usually upload the ISOs via the PVE webUI to your ISO storage.
You could also manually copy the ISOs from the USB stick to your ISO storage but that would require to manually mount the usb stick ("mount" command) first and copy the ISOs ("mv" command).

Did you install PVE from or to a USB stick? The latter one should be avoided.

And how do you want to install Win10/Win2016?

Installing it next to PVE would have to be done via keyboard+display directly on the server.
If you want to run them as VMs you would usually upload the ISOs via the PVE webUI to your ISO storage.
You could also manually copy the ISOs from the USB stick to your ISO storage but that would require to manually mount the usb stick ("mount" command) first and copy the ISOs ("mv" command).
I believe I am running Proxmox from the USB stick. I have an empty 250gb drive in the server I was hoping to install and run the ISOs from. My thought is there is no need to be running from USBs if necessary.

If I were to upload the ISOs via the PVE webUI to ISO storage, how would I accomplish that from the webUI? Is that the manual mount and move you had mentioned in the last bit?

I believe I am running Proxmox from the USB stick. I have an empty 250gb drive in the server I was hoping to install and run the ISOs from. My thought is there is no need to be running from USBs if necessary.
Then I would install it again to that 250GB disk. PVE will kill USB sticks quite fast because of all the writes.
No problem to use the same disk for PVE system, ISOs and VM/LXC storage. You just have to decide, when using LVM, how much of those 250GB you want for files (PVE system+ISOs+Backups+Templates) and how much space for virtual disks (VMs/LXCs) when instaling it. See chapter "Advanced LVM Configuraton Options": https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation

If I were to upload the ISOs via the PVE webUI to ISO storage, how would I accomplish that from the webUI? Is that the manual mount and move you had mentioned in the last bit?
You click on your ISO storage in the webUI and then there is a "ISO images" tab and you will find a "Upload" button there.

Then I would install it again to that 250GB disk. PVE will kill USB sticks quite fast because of all the writes.
No problem to use the same disk for PVE system, ISOs and VM/LXC storage. You just have to decide, when using LVM, how much of those 250GB you want for files (PVE system+ISOs+Backups+Templates) and how much space for virtual disks (VMs/LXCs) when instaling it. See chapter "Advanced LVM Configuraton Options": https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation

You click on your ISO storage in the webUI and then there is a "ISO images" tab and you will find a "Upload" button there.
blew everything away and running from the internal SSD instead of a USB stick. I have been able to manage my ISOs better andno other install issues. Thanks for your advice

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!