[SOLVED] Installed PROXMOX on VMWare Workstation - no internet

voarsh

Nov 20, 2020
Hi.

I installed PROXMOX on VMWare Workstation 16 PRO, I can connect from the host to the machine, but PROXMOX can't connect to the internet?
Any idea why?

Also, for some reason I can't access PROXMOX on another PC on the same local network with the IP.

Probably you have set up the VMWare network in the wrong mode. Sounds like you want bridged mode but be aware that if your network is WiFi you may not be able to do that. Many WiFi don't support promiscuous mode, which is needed for bridge.

Probably you have set up the VMWare network in the wrong mode. Sounds like you want bridged mode but be aware that if your network is WiFi you may not be able to do that. Many WiFi don't support promiscuous mode, which is needed for bridge.
I managed to connect to my host which is running PROXMOX. However I can only do that from another computer on the local network. E.G. I can access the host from my other computer but I can't access PROXMOX on the host itself. Any idea why?

Also, on the other computer I am trying to run PROXMOX and on the first host, trying to access PROXMOX and I cannot connect, perhaps the subnets overlap or something.
Is there something to explain how this setup might work?

How is the network set up on VMWare? There are several different modes, bridged vs NAT for example. How is the Proxmox guest obtaining an IP address? Is there a firewall on the host? If this is hosted on Windows there almost certainly is.

Your Proxmox is a VMWare guest so all of the usual rules apply. There is nothing special about Proxmox in this regard. Generally you will want to use bridged network on the VMWare side and give the guest a static IP that is on the correct network. You may need to open some holes in the firewall. This is the same for any VMWare guest you want to access from your LAN.

How is the network set up on VMWare? There are several different modes, bridged vs NAT for example. How is the Proxmox guest obtaining an IP address? Is there a firewall on the host? If this is hosted on Windows there almost certainly is.

Your Proxmox is a VMWare guest so all of the usual rules apply. There is nothing special about Proxmox in this regard. Generally you will want to use bridged network on the VMWare side and give the guest a static IP that is on the correct network. You may need to open some holes in the firewall. This is the same for any VMWare guest you want to access from your LAN.
Bridged.

I can connect to my VMWare Host from another LAN computer.
Here's the network config
1606698944974.png

My LAN config:
1606700478517.png

I am not sure why I can connect to HOST to get to PROXMOX, but the VMWARE HOST with PROXMOX cannot connect to my other other (other LAN computer).
I basically want two computers running PROXMOX.

1606735254010.png
1606735357788.png
With this setup I seem to be able to browse PROXMOX on the host system itself, but not other LAN computers?

--- edit:
I can only connect to the HOST from a LAN computer by the following:
VMNet8 - HOST ONLY - Same subnet as LAN/network.
VM Setting with Bridged.

Last edited:
Just a shot in the dark

By default , vswitch in vmware only allow one mac address per "vm port". You'd to allow promiscious mode in the vswitch if you want mac addresses from vm /lxc to flow out of the vswitch.

I've abandoned Wi-Fi.
I got a 4G network device that has Ethernet built in and all my problems are gone. Go wired connections!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!