Installation VLAN

cyrus104

Feb 10, 2020
I am installing a small 3 host proxmox cluster, the interfaces that I have available are trunk/vlan ports with the native vlan turned off for "security" concerns.

I would like to try and get proxmox installed and have the management interface be on the vmbr0.x.

Could this be added for users that have a single interface and need to use vlans?

Thanks

This is currently not supported, but you can always just install without internet connectivity and configure your VLAN after the installation via the local shell (i.e. edit /etc/network/interfaces to add your VLAN interface manually).

When I set this up in the interfaces file will this reflect in the proxmox gui?

Is it possible to put in a feature request for supporting vlans on install?

When I set this up in the interfaces file will this reflect in the proxmox gui?
Yes, the GUI takes it's information from the /etc/network/interfaces file as well.

There actually already exists a feature request for this. Since it's possible to configure everything manually it's not currently a very high priority though AFAIK.

@Stefan_R, thank you for your quick response. Good to know the GUI will pickup the info from the interfaces file, I'll read up on how to make that change. I understand it's not a high priority as there is a work around but I am looking forward to it as I switch between several hypervisors on my homelab to learn and test.

following the guide I setup a vlan sub interface vmbr0v20 to bond0.20 but the bridge never shows available in the UI for VMs as an available bridge interface. ip a confirms the interface exists and addressable... I've been working on networking issues for days now trying to replace esx and center.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet static
address 10.100.2.12
netmask 24
gateway 10.100.2.254
#14:fe:b5:d9:31:94

iface eno2 inet manual
#14:fe:b5:d9:31:96

iface eno3 inet manual
#14:fe:b5:d9:31:98

iface eno4 inet manual
#14:fe:b5:d9:31:9a

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
bond-slaves eno3 eno4
bond-miimon 100
bond-mode 802.3ad
bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3

iface bond0.20 inet manual

auto vmbr0v20
iface vmbr0v20 inet manual
bridge-ports bond0.20
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge-ports eno2
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports bond0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Try calling your bridge 'vmbr2' instead of 'vmbr0v20', as we use the naming to determine the type of network device we're dealing with in PVE. You can add a comment via the GUI to mark it as your VLAN 20 bridge for administrative purposes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!