installation proxmox on securityonion

spayk

May 6, 2019
Hello,
I have installed a SecurityOnion (ubuntu based OS) on my physical machine. I would like to install Proxmox into it. Is it possible to install proxmox on securityonion? Asking, because I haven't found any tutorial.
Thank you.

Would like to have IDS linux system alongside with virtualization. Wanna check the stability and how it would work.

The IDS is a network based system? Best solution for this is to install OpenVSwitch and create a mirror port and copy all packets from to it.

The IDS is a network based system? Best solution for this is to install OpenVSwitch and create a mirror port and copy all packets from to it.
yes the IDS is security onion or Selks (this is debian based). I would like to make that machine as a edge router in order to control the traffic just to check. Haven't heard about openvswitch. Will this software work for edge router? .I may provide solutions of what errors I am getting. If you are willing to help I would love to work with you.
Thank you.

yes the IDS is security onion or Selks (this is debian based). I would like to make that machine as a edge router in order to control the traffic just to check. Haven't heard about openvswitch. Will this software work for edge router? .I may provide solutions of what errors I am getting. If you are willing to help I would love to work with you.
Thank you.

"edge router" ... what did routers do in the years without this new terminology?

We also do ingress and egress via VM as @BobhWasatch described. Software defined networking does the magic for you and you can route, switch, filter and IDS everything you want. OpenVSwitch is one step further to give you switch level configuration on virtual ports including mirroring etc.

Reactions: guletz
Another way to do that is to put your edge router in a VM.
I have finished installing selks along with proxmox and it seems to work, but was checking to port LAN into the VMs but getting problem.
About the OpenVSwitch - Haven't used it. I know google is my friend, but could you describe where should I install it? I mean something like that:
Selks (linux) -> OpenVSwitch -> proxmox?

"edge router" ... what did routers do in the years without this new terminology?
Meh, read before about it and found some differences between "regular router" and "edge one", trying to "replicate" my current servers at work in my home (it's of course stopgap).

internal LAN<--bridge<--router VM<--bridge<--external WAN PVE host <-------+ other VM <-------+

You can do this with the regular Linux bridge. Much simpler than OVS.

OVS is for when you have complex layer-2 routing and filtering requirements or you want to do things like move VM's between hosts without changing IP addresses. You need to have a good handle on routing and bridging concepts before you mess with OVS. In my opinion of course.

Reactions: spayk and guletz
internal LAN<--bridge<--router VM<--bridge<--external WAN PVE host <-------+ other VM <-------+

Thank you for your reply, Sir. Appreciate it a lot.
Hmm now I have a problem with regular proxmox that I am able to connect to it, but after installing 2 VMs I have no internet at all. Would you mind to give it a chance to help me a bit?
I do not really need an "advanced" routing like you mentioned.
External WAN -> IDS -> internal LAN.

Yes, that is the bridge solution, which works great.

Alternatively:
I prefer the VLAN solution which only needs one bridge and still works as expected - you need a VLAN-capable switch of course. You only need one bridge for all and let your switches do the rest. You then have not one configuration interface for everything, but generally in bigger setups, you already use managed switches.

I do not really need an "advanced" routing like you mentioned.

There is no advanced routing involves in such simple setups, but yes, please create a new thread if not already done.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!