Installation Proxmox (Dell r750 PowerEdge 24 disks) "Only shows my RAID"

Roma

Feb 6, 2024
Hi everyone!
I'am trying to install proxmox on an r750 Dell server with 24 disks (1.2TB each).
First I setup a RAID5 and chose 3 disks to do it.
When I boot with proxmox I only see my RAID configuration to choose the option "Target Harddisk".
So I proceed with installation but when I go to the "Disks" on proxmox none of the 22 disks don't appear, only my 2TB of RAID5.

So to try something different I make JBOD on them, and they appear to me. But I would like to do a RAID on my hardware or is it not worth it anymore?

What you want is a RAID card that supports mixed mode, where some disk's are put through to the OS as a HBA would and some are under RAID aka RAID5.

If your current card does not support mixed mode then your need to do separate RAID0's for the remaining disks for them to appear in the OS.

What you want is a RAID card that supports mixed mode, where some disk's are put through to the OS as a HBA would and some are under RAID aka RAID5.

If your current card does not support mixed mode then your need to do separate RAID0's for the remaining disks for them to appear in the OS.
I see. Is there any kind of problem with making RAID0 and RAID 5 in the same system?
I am gonna see if controller RAID has support to it

I see. Is there any kind of problem with making RAID0 and RAID 5 in the same system?
I am gonna see if controller RAID has support to it

No problem as such, only issue with making RAID 0's instead of mixed mode with HBA is your underlying OS won't get full access to the disk and it's health as they are hidden behind the RAID.

Smartctl normally can connect via raid controllers but takes some extra steps.

What RAID controller is in your server model wise?

First I setup a RAID5 and chose 3 disks to do it.
was done outside of PVE, so do the same for the others drive.

this is the recommended way if you do not use zfs filesystem.
Monitoring your drives and the raid status will be not supported out of the box by Proxmox. you will need install cli and setup alert.

No problem as such, only issue with making RAID 0's instead of mixed mode with HBA is your underlying OS won't get full access to the disk and it's health as they are hidden behind the RAID.

I see! I'm going to think about what best to do in that case. Thank you!
I have to confirm tomorrow what my controller is, so I answer you.

was done outside of PVE, so do the same for the others drive.

this is the recommended way if you do not use zfs filesystem.
Monitoring your drives and the raid status will be not supported out of the box by Proxmox. you will need install cli and setup alert.
Yes. I did it in my controller RAID hardware.
So I have to do it for each 3 disks or I can check all disks and choose RAID 5?

it's up to you.
You can make any number of raid volume you want, with mixed raid type with whatever disks you want.
edit:
raid1 is recommended to store vm disks as write speed is faster.

Last edited:
it's up to you.
You can make any number of raid volume you want, with mixed raid type with whatever disks you want.
edit:
raid1 is recommended to store vm disks as write speed is faster.
I have 24 disks and I want to do the best with them on RAID to use Proxmox. What would you recommend?
I gonna have pfsense, SMB sharing, windows server (to use AD), web server to web site...

My RAID controller is dell perc h755

I have another question. I mark all my disks no-raid and install proxmox with ext4, in the future I gonna have any kind of problem with my disks? I mean: If one of my disks failure, I can change them and even my system will work properly?

I have another question. I mark all my disks no-raid and install proxmox with ext4, in the future I gonna have any kind of problem with my disks? I mean: If one of my disks failure, I can change them and even my system will work properly?
If you run with no raid if a disk fails your loose any files on that disk.

I never had good luck with mixed-mode on disk controllers. Either choose HW RAID or IT/HBA-mode.

I just stick with what Proxmox officially supports. If using HW RAID then it's either EXT4 or XFS (I use this since it's a native 64-bit filesystem).

If using IT/HBA-mode, I use 2 x small drives with ZFS RAID-1 for OS mirroring. Rest of drives are either with ZFS (if standalone) or Ceph (if clustered).

Zero issues besides the typical disk dying and needing replacing which ZFS/Ceph makes it easy to do.

Can you not use HBA-mode?
You can normally change this over, though may need destroy all data first.

ZFS will change your life.
Abandon all this legacy HW RAID.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!