Installation problem (no cdrom found) and a possible solution?

Apr 1, 2021
So, I have installed Proxmox VE without any trouble on two servers via a USB-stick. Then I tried it on an older server and got the dreaded
Code:
no cdrom found
unable to continue (type exit or CTRL-D to reboot)
/ #
message. I thought this was weird since I used the exact same installation media which had previously worked flawlessly. I tried everything possible with the same disappointing results, virtual media through IPMI, virtual media through a KVM, several USB-sticks, a million different BIOS-settings...

I then tried to debug the installation script and found that if I tried the installation again from the command line after the "unable to continue" message by running
Code:
/ # ./init
it found the "cdrom" and the installation started!

After some digging I found that in this server, a SAS-controller failed to start. This caused a 30 second timeout before other devices where initialized, and unfortunately the Proxmox installation script does a 4 x 5 second retry loop, which was about 10 seconds to little in this case.

So, if anyone else is having the same problem a simple
Code:
./init
might do the trick, and perhaps you awesome guys at Proxmox could increase the number of retries in the installer a bit?

Hi,

thanks for sharing your insights!
might do the trick, and perhaps you awesome guys at Proxmox could increase the number of retries in the installer a bit?
Sure can do, at this point it probably can only help.

Reactions: gabbegubben
Hi,

thanks for sharing your insights!

Sure can do, at this point it probably can only help.
Hi,
I am install Proxmox for the first time on an HP Proliant DL380 G7 and having the same problem, However, @gabbegubben suggestion didn't work for me. It just redid the 5 second retry on /dev/sr0 and /dev/sdd ... no attempt to access the USB. Any suggestions?

I'm going to look at the .init script but I'll have to learn vi first, I'm a nano guy :)
Thanks,
Michael

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!