installation or boot drive full even with only 1 VM

epicurean

Jun 21, 2021
Newbie alert.
I have proxmox 7 installed in a 200GB Intel SSD, and pair of 900 Samsung SSDs as ZFS mirror. I have only 1 windows 10 VM installed but the 200GB drive is 100 full. I have no idea why.
I do have another 2 proxmox 7 machines with 3-4 VMs in the same cluster but they are similarly configured (as far as I can remember) with the VM datastores in the ZFS mirrors created.
Any help appreciated on how to fix this

Whats your df -h, vgs and lvs output?

If your system disk gets full its most of the time because of writing to a unmounted mountpoint.

Last edited:
the df -h output is:
root@fd2:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 16G 0 16G 0% /dev
tmpfs 3.2G 298M 2.9G 10% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root 47G 47G 20K 100% /
tmpfs 16G 57M 16G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
lenovo900 758G 128K 758G 1% /lenovo900
/dev/fuse 128M 36K 128M 1% /etc/pve
//192.168.1.64/aei_storage 11T 1.5T 8.7T 15% /mnt/pve/aei_storage
192.168.1.172:/Seagate/AEI_Backup 17T 1.8T 16T 11% /mnt/pve/aei_backup
tmpfs 3.2G 0 3.2G 0% /run/user/0

vgs is:
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
pve 1 3 0 wz--n- <185.81g 16.00g

lvs is:
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
data pve twi-a-tz-- <113.25g 0.00 1.40
root pve -wi-ao---- 46.25g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g

Looks like most of your 200GB SSD is used by some VMs/LXCs. If you say you only got one VM on that node I guess you put that VM on your system disks LVMthin and not on your ZFS pool.:

I am almost certain I put the lone Win 10 VM on the lenovo900 mirror.
how do I keep my VM , free up the space and ensure the vm datastore is in the lenovo zfs mirror?
I am curious what setttings I did wrong to let this happen, so i can avoid it in future

Maybe I'm reading the output wrong because you didn't posted it in code tags to preserve indentation.
Your pve-root also looks full. You could run something like du -a --exclude=/lenovo900 --exclude=/mnt/pve/aei_storage --exclude=/mnt/pve/aei_backup / | sort -n -r | head -n 20 to find the biggest folders/files.

I get this error msg with the command you posted:

du: cannot access '/var/lib/lxcfs/cgroup': Input/output error
sort: cannot create temporary file in '/tmp': No space left on device

You should try to delete some unimportant data (like compressed logs in /var/log) and try it again.

NOw I get this error, I did delete some of the compressed logs

du: cannot access '/var/lib/lxcfs/cgroup': Input/output error

I gave up , and did a fresh proxmox 7 install. and restored from one of the backups. During the restore, it would only allow me to restore the VM into either the LVMthin (which I did) or the NFS storage (eg aei_backup). How do I move the VM to the ZFS mirror I recreated (eg lenovo900)?

much thanks again.
Still dunno why the VM filled my boot disk to 100%

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!