Installation Options

tjassum

Nov 12, 2015
Hi,

I cannot use the iso installation for PBS. Just installed on Debian Buster with

# apt-get update
# apt-get install proxmox-backup

Afterwards I also installed the packages (which have been missing)

apt install zfs-zed
apt install zfs-initramfs
apt install zfsutils-linux

and configured Postfix.

For me it looks like a perfect installation like with the iso now and I am also able to configure ZFS and datastore via the Web GUI.

Can I go with this in production or are there any other packages / ZFS Options wich are different to the iso installation (except the base OS configuration) ?

Thx

Tom

Even with a PBS ISO installation you would need to manually optimize ZFS pool before starting using it.
I would for example recommend adding a new dataset to be used as your PBS datastore so you could add more datastores on that pool later. And PBS is always compression with Zstd on file level so there is no need to compress again on block level and ZFS compression can be disabled. And PBS needs atime support to operate but using relatime should be fine too and save some IOPS.

Reactions: tjassum
Even with a PBS ISO installation you would need to manually optimize ZFS pool before starting using it.
I would for example recommend adding a new dataset to be used as your PBS datastore so you could add more datastores on that pool later. And PBS is always compression with Zstd on file level so there is no need to compress again on block level and ZFS compression can be disabled. And PBS needs atime support to operate but using relatime should be fine too and save some IOPS.
Hey, as I understand you would never enable compression when creating ZFS via the PBS Web Gui as it is not necessary ? I found only *.fidx files in my datastore. I have 6 Datacenter-SSDs for ZFS. Would you recommend RAID10 over RAIDZ - as I have only GBit ethernet I would say RAIDZ would be fast enough with one disk fault tolerance ?

Hey, as I understand you would never enable compression when creating ZFS via the PBS Web Gui as it is not necessary ?
Jep, totally unneeded additional work for the CPU.
I found only *.fidx files in my datastore. I have 6 Datacenter-SSDs for ZFS. Would you recommend RAID10 over RAIDZ - as I have only GBit ethernet I would say RAIDZ would be fast enough with one disk fault tolerance ?
I guess a raidz or raidz2 should be fine. You should start a verify and garbage collection to check the performance as these should create the highest IOPS. And both is also done locally so its not limited by gbit.

Reactions: tjassum
you did check the `.chunks` directory?
.chunks ist also available of course. But going to /mnt/datastore/srv50-pbs/vm/140/2021-12-03T13:34:28Z I find this content:

-rw-r--r-- 1 backup backup 907 Dec 3 14:35 client.log.blob
-rw-r--r-- 1 backup backup 528384 Dec 3 14:35 drive-scsi0.img.fidx
-rw-r--r-- 1 backup backup 145 Dec 3 14:34 fw.conf.blob
-rw-r--r-- 1 backup backup 455 Dec 3 14:35 index.json.blob
-rw-r--r-- 1 backup backup 349 Dec 3 14:34 qemu-server.conf.blob

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!