Installation on production LAMP server

rodti

Jul 14, 2017
For reasons too long-winded to go into here I'd like to attempt to migrate an existing Debian Jessie LAMP server to a Proxmox VM 'in place'. My plan is to install Proxmox on the same machine as the existing LAMP stack, then to migrate the server into a VM by stopping services, copying the filesystem, and following the well-documented procedures to get that filesystem working in a VM. Then, in theory, I can point the server's primary IP to that VM and - abracadabra - to the outside world it seems like it's the same system and no one knows any better (except for any downtime).

Now, this is where you're going to tear my plan to pieces.

I've trialled the Proxmox VE 5.0 distro on a server to get a feel for it and plan out how my VMs will work, understand that network model etc. I'm quite comfortable with Proxmox (the n00b question on networking I'm about to post in a sister forum notwithstanding).

If I install the proxmox-ve and other dependencies on this production server I like to think that I'll then have the same functioning server, but with the Proxmox GUI on port 8006 and the ability to create VMs on the existing disk partitions. Is this correct? Or am I completely mistaken and the Proxmox install will trash everything and/or do something destructive to the file system/kernel?

Any help appreciated! I tried searching for installation on production/existing systems but didn't see any similar posts.

Hi,
an existing Debian Jessie LAMP server
I've trialled the Proxmox VE 5.0
keep in mind that if you install Proxmox on top of Debian Jessie you will end up with version 4.4.
or do something destructive to the file system/kernel?
Indeed Proxmox brings its own kernel. But I don't think that this is destructive to your system.
If I install the proxmox-ve and other dependencies on this production server I like to think that I'll then have the same functioning server, but with the Proxmox GUI on port 8006 and the ability to create VMs on the existing disk partitions. Is this correct?
I just tried the following:
1. Installed a fresh Debian Jessie
2. Installed LAMP
--- so this is your production server ---
3. Installed Proxmox
4. Reboot
-> abracadabra: Everything is like you expected it :)

The migration of your production stuff into a new VM I didn't try - it's too late here! :-D

But as far as I can see I would say: Check your backups and go ahead!

Good luck and many greets
Stephan

Reactions: jamil shaikh
keep in mind that if you install Proxmox on top of Debian Jessie you will end up with version 4.4.

Ohhh, now there's a very good point! But I could plan around that.

I just tried the following:
1. Installed a fresh Debian Jessie
2. Installed LAMP
--- so this is your production server ---
3. Installed Proxmox
4. Reboot
-> abracadabra: Everything is like you expected it :)

Thanks for taking the time to try that out! Had a bash myself but didn't have a suitable system that wasn't already running in a VM.

The migration of your production stuff into a new VM I didn't try - it's too late here! :-D

But as far as I can see I would say: Check your backups and go ahead!

Yep, bit of a leap of faith!

If the existing server is on IP 11.22.33.44, is there a simple way to route that IP from the node into its new incarnation as a VM? Ij my simple mind, if I did that then I wouldn't be able to log into the Proxmox admin! Or could it be done with NAT?

If the existing server is on IP 11.22.33.44, is there a simple way to route that IP from the node into its new incarnation as a VM? Ij my simple mind, if I did that then I wouldn't be able to log into the Proxmox admin! Or could it be done with NAT?
I would suggest something like this:
1. Add Proxmox to your existing machine (by the way: It will need a reboot)
2. Change the network settings this way (maybe need a second reboot to take effect)
--- Proxmox and your LAMP system should be still available at 11.22.33.44 ---
3. Create your VM, give her the IP address 11.22.33.55 and do the fancy copying stuff
4. switch the IP addresses (take care of IP address confilcts while doing this)

sounds wild, but could work. :-D

My preferred way of achieving your goal would be (assuming that you have enough downtime):

1. Backup your machine
2. Erase the harddisk and do a fresh Proxmox VE 5 installation
3. Create a VM
4. Restore your backup into the VM

Many greets
Stephan

I have freshly installed proxmox 5.3 on debian 9.6, worked like a charm.

Now how shall I point my IP address to the running LAMP VM.

I have a public IP on which its running... eg 11.22.33.44
vmbr0 11.22.33.44
bridge eth0

vmbr1 10.10.0.x

vmbr1 attached to running LAMP VM.

VM IP 10.10.0.x

so what shall need to be dont to point 11.22.33.44:80 to 10.10.0.x:80...iptables?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!