Installation of Proxmox on top of KVM/QEMU

Hey guys,

much to my regret, I found out that the new Proxmox 4.0 isn't able to work as a 2-Node-Cluster with an additional quorum disk, due to the new corosync version. So now I'm working on the proposed solution, to add a third adequate cluster member. In practice I want to set up the third member on our additional existing KVM/QEMU server as a very small VM without any storage/resources, just to get the quorum and the necessary amount of safety against split-brain problems. The two other nodes will deliver computing power and local storage (synced via DRBD) to the VMs on the cluster.

So I'm trying to do a regular install on my additional server via libvirt, but I'm not able to get libvirt to work with the provided Proxmox VE 4.0 iso-image:
Code:
virt-install -n pxmx-ext0 -r 512 --disk path=/dev/vg01/pxmx-ext0-disk,sparse=false,bus=virtio,cache=none --disk path=/dev/vg01/pxmx-ext0-swap,sparse=false,bus=virtio,cache=none -b br1,model=virtio -l /media/proxmox -x console=ttyS0,115200 --force --debug

It won't find any useable boot entry (traceback shows that it's trying various options) and stops with the following message:
Code:
Error validating install location: Could not find an installable distribution at '/media/proxmox'

Has anyone already tried to use the official install-image on a libvirt environment or should I just stick to the easier solution and install a regular Debian (which works fine with the netinstall image) and upgrade the Proxmox-Features? I naturally would prefer using the first solution because it would save me some time. Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers, Johannes

Hi
I see no reasons Proxmox should not worlk with virt-install, since we install it daily inside KVM. If virtinstall is not working I would advise you to try virt-manager.
Be aware tha the Proxmox VE installer is not meant to be used over a serial console, so you will need some kind of SDL or VNC display.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!