[SOLVED] Installation hangs

r3d007

Jul 26, 2019
Hi there!
I try to install Proxmox 6.1 on an AMD Threadripper 3960X.
The Mainboard is a MSI Creator TRX40.
When I try to boot from USB, it hangs. See attached picture.

I also tried to install Proxmox on top of Debian and used Debian 10.2 network installation image. This installation worked fine but when I tried to install Proxmox I get an error when pve-manager was installed. Error was that ipcc_send_rec failed: Connection refused. So the installation of proxmox-ve failed, too.

Anyone an idea how to solve that problem?

Thanks in advance!
r3d007

Edit: Seems that none USB device is working. Can't even turn off Num lock on my keyboard. Is it possible to deactivate USB completely on boot? Anyone had a similar Problem with USB devices?

Attachments

• 20191223_204028.jpg
    20191223_204028.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Hello,
i can confirm the issues. Have exact the same.
Just my Mainboard is an ASRock TRX40 Creator.

Tried to disable all possible things in the Bios without success and removed all additional hardware. No success.

Regards,
Reinhard

Attachments

• proxmox_hang_on_boot20191228_170432.jpg
    proxmox_hang_on_boot20191228_170432.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 45
With pve-kernel-4.15 all works fine.
So, im going back to Proxmox 5.4 meanwile.

Also the last message is about ....usb 9-5... but with the kernel 4.15 the login is shown and all is working.

Attachments

• proxmox_hang_on_boot20191228_202119.jpg
    proxmox_hang_on_boot20191228_202119.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 40
This installation worked fine but when I tried to install Proxmox I get an error when pve-manager was installed. Error was that ipcc_send_rec failed: Connection refused.

you have to edit your /etc/hosts file like described in the wiki.

check with hostname --ip-address. it should return your IP on the terminal.

then try again with dpkg --configure -a after fixing hosts file and checking

you have to edit your /etc/hosts file like described in the wiki.

check with hostname --ip-address. it should return your IP on the terminal.

then try again with dpkg --configure -a after fixing hosts file and checking
OK, seems that I had a problem with my hosts file. Installation on top of a Debian Buster worked now.

But Proxmox is still not booting. It hangs at the exact same point. Do I have to install additional firmware packages eg non-free?

I had the same install hang with 6.1 on Asus TRX40-e Rog Strix motherboard
I switched to the 6.0 ISO on a usb. The installation for 6.0 finished with no errors.

Thanks for the Information!
After installation, did you update to 6.1 or still running 6.0?

@oguz Are there any changes in the kernel between 6.0 and 6.1 what can cause the problem? Also can I run a 6.0 in a 6.1 cluster?

EDIT: I updated the server. Kernel 5.3.13-1-pve is not booting. Kernel 5.0.21-5-pve is booting but when using this kernel every entry in the Server View has a small questionmark.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Information!
After installation, did you update to 6.1 or still running 6.0?

@oguz Are there any changes in the kernel between 6.0 and 6.1 what can cause the problem? Also can I run a 6.0 in a 6.1 cluster?

EDIT: I updated the server. Kernel 5.3.13-1-pve is not booting. Kernel 5.0.21-5-pve is booting but when using this kernel every entry in the Server View has a small questionmark.
I have not updated to 6.1. I plan to test the system on a few VMs with pci & usb passthrough. Depending on the performance I'll decide to update to 6.1 or stick with 6.0. I'd like to use this pc this weekend (LAN party, giggity) so I just want to get it working. after that I'll have time to try 6.1 again...

Reactions: feeeiii
Last edited:
Yes, I can confirm with parameter mce=off 6.1 it is working.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
also here with an ASRock TRX40 Creator, if you do not know how to set the mce=off

1. press E for edit on the proxmox install selection screen
2. modify the linux line and add mce=off at the end then press ctrl-x or f10
3. after successfull install on the first boot you also need to press e in the grub menu and add mce=off in the linux line then again ctrl-x or f10 - but this is not permanent!
4. to make it permanent modify /boot/grub/grub.cfg and also add mce=off in the linux line for the proxmox menuentries

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!