[SOLVED] Install Proxmox on Raspberry Pi CM4 eMMc

Oct 5, 2023
Iraq, Baghdad
Hey you all beautiful people out there I hope you are doing great!

To cut to the chase, I have a three pieces of Raspberry Pi CM4 module with eMMC flash as a disk. Those mini board used to build my home lab cluster as shown below:

25950DF7-2E02-439B-98CD-CD9B5CBF8996.jpg

I build this cluster for purpose in mind to use latest Proxmox VE and play with all magics that offers for study purposes.

The issue is that I have to flash the eMMC with an OS first then install all related repositories to support Proxmox installation, and it turned out it is to complicated and many errors and issues emerged.

How can someone boot the Proxmox installer and go through its configuration ; as you do normally on Physical or Virtual PC; on eMMC flash?

by the way this brilliant guy illustrates how to flash eMMC for any given OS
How to flash Raspberry Pi OS onto the Compute Module 4 eMMC with usbboot

Yours

Oh! dear thanks for your fast response, I also thought so, but on the official documentations they claim it is OK on arm64 as shown link:
Proxmox on Debian ARM64
"AMD64" = x86_64 not "ARM64"!

There is Pimox, an unofficial PVE port for the Raspi: https://github.com/pimox/pimox7
But with that you are still limited to LXCs or ARM VM.
And not sure if Pimox can install to eMMC. PVE can't as far as I know and also wouldn't be recommended as PVE writes a lot so a real HDD or SSD should be used.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!