Install proxmox and make it use both my SSD's

DodgeBox

Jul 19, 2023
Hi there,

I am pretty new when it comes to proxmox and I have recenlty done my first installation and then created my first VM on it. I have 2 SSD's installed both of 1TB. When I look at the storage that I have available in my local-lvm it is only 850Gigs.

Now I would like to use all my available storage for future VM's and such. How would I go about this. Would this be able with ZFS and would this require a completely new installation of Proxmox?

Thanks in advance!!

Do you really want a single 2TB storage or is it ok with 2x 1TB? I personally wouldn't want a raid0 (doubles the chances to lose all your data) using ZFS which also would require you to reinstall PVE and I guess you also don't got proper Enterprise/Datacenter grade SSD for ZFS.
If you just want new space for VMs I would simply create a new LVM-Thin storage using that unused second SSD. You might need to wipe it first in case it got prepartitioned from factory. Then you would have another 1TB storage for your VMs.

Another option would be to create a new PV, extend your VG and extend your data LV. Then you get a 1850G storage for VMs similar to a raid0 but without ZFS and without reinstalling. But this is advanced stuff you can't do via the webUI and you should know what you are doing, so you don't lose your data and screw up your PVe installation.

Last edited:
Thanks! @Dunuin. I indeed just want new space for VMs so I will look into just creating a new LVM-Thin Storage :) Thanks for the response!

Thanks! @Dunuin. I indeed just want new space for VMs so I will look into just creating a new LVM-Thin Storage :) Thanks for the response!
Its in the webUI: YouNode -> Disks -> select your empty disk -> click the "wipe disk" button (this will delete the disk, so make sure to select the correct one!).
Then: YouNode -> Disks -> LVM-Thin -> "Create: thinpool" button

Its in the webUI: YouNode -> Disks -> select your empty disk -> click the "wipe disk" button (this will delete the disk, so make sure to select the correct one!).
Thanks so much for the help. I was able to create it :)

how to create thin-pool for multi disk?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!