install gui with lxc container

Hi,

I want to install Plex media Player in a container lxc gui on proxmox

I gave the GPU, keyboard, mouse and sound access to the container following this link: https://blog.konpat.me/dev/2019/03/11/setting-up-lxc-for-intel-gpu-proxmox.html
and apart from the sound that I could not try, I have the image on my tv via the output hdmi
I did the test by installing this template: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-business-desktop-lxc/

I created a container with the following config:
arch: amd64
cores: 2
features: fuse=1
hostname: plex
memory: 2048
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,gw=192.168.1.1,hwaddr=E2:FA:71:F0:CF:EC,ip=192.168.1.130/24,type=veth
ostype: debian
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-130-disk-0,size=8G
swap: 512
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 226:0 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 226:128 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 4:7 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 29:0 rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dri/card0 dev/dri/card0 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dri/renderD128 dev/dri/renderD128 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/tty7 dev/tty7 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/fb0 dev/fb0 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 13:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/input dev/input none bind,optional,create=dir
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 116:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/snd dev/snd none bind,optional,create=dir

I downloaded plex, made executable, but I can not install it
wget https://knapsu.eu/data/plex/Plex_Media_Player_2.42.0.1013-712b8c6f_x64.AppImage
chmod a+x Plex_Media_Player_2.42.0.1013-712b8c6f_x64.AppImage
./Plex_Media_Player_2.42.0.1013-712b8c6f_x64.AppImage

I have the following error message
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Available platform plugins are: xcb.

I installed missing packages, including gnome-core but nothing done
is it necessary to configure a file, uid / gid, or other?

sorry i start with proxmox and linux

if I understand, I could not use the hdmi output with LXC, or x2go allows it?

sorry i start with proxmox and linux

if I understand, I could not use the hdmi output with LXC, or x2go allows it?
Linux and proxmox are not the problem.
You just trying to use things not designed for your needs.
Try using real VM.
Proxmox supports both, a lxc container and real full VM.

yet with lxc.cgroup.devices.allow and the template of fireon I have a desktop to display on my tv with the output hdmi

that's why i told myself, it must be possible to install plex player

i tried with vm and passtrougt gpu, but i think vm is too heavy just for plex

There is a difference between showing a simple desktop and running a media client. An real VM emulates hardware and with passthrough it looks and feels,to the app, as a real pc. With enought resources Plex can run properly on VM.
Lxc shares the resources with host and have a lot of constraints. It is better suited for simpler usage. A server VM
A simlle desktop for web broweser. An office pc with web and office use.
It is possible to get a heavy apps like AutoCAD or such to run on lxc but performance usually mehh...
You can run Plex server in lxc just fine. But better with no desktop UI. Just a server setup and webui management.
Client should be a dedicated pc.
IMHO ..

I use this configuration, plex server on lxc and plex player on vm (passthrough igpu)

so it would be possible to install plex player on lxc, but the perfomances would not be terrible

if I want to do the test, what will I need

Hi Everyone;
I'm not sure about Fedora but I've installed XFCE4 x2goserver x2goserver-xsession in a Debian10 Container and use x2goclient to run apps

1. In a new Debian 10 Container
Bash:
apt update
apt upgrade -y
apt install -y xfce4 x2goserver x2goserver-xsession
adduser rescue
reboot

2. On your machine

- Install x2goClient

remark: I use XFCE4, but LXDE and Mate is also a good option. GNOME and KDE seams to be more problematic with remote desktop.

Last edited:
I know, this is a bit old thread. But for those, who interested in launch https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-business-desktop-lxc/ and facing "ttyname failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device" problem while connecting through x2go client, here is the solution.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create LXC container from https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-business-desktop-lxc/ template
2. Start container
3. Try to connect to it with x2go client.

Actual Result: You get an error "ttyname failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device".

The reason of that is because you try to login as root. During the connection system tries to load ~/.profile and in case root user, its /root/.profile generates a spurious error. This is because of last line of /root/.profile: mesg n || true. More details about mesg n || true look here.

So to solve the problem there are several ways:
1. to continue login as root, just edit last line at /root/.profile. Change mesg n || true to tty -s && mesg n || true. You can do it by login through ssh, or by using container's console from proxmox web UI.
2. login as ubd user from x2go client. To do so you have two options:
a) copy your ssh key to /home/ubd/.ssh/authorized_keys or
b) set ubd user's password by executing passwd ubd as root.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!